RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm in the process of developing a new bulbar for the P38, I've searched a lot of pages regarding bumpers for the P38 and couldn't find one to my liking and one which suites the my Range Rover. The others on the "Bumpers, Brush bars and Winch Mounts (Range Rover 4.0/4.6)" page is ok but I wanted one that will follow the lines of the car as well and that is still stylish in its own way.
The tow hook on the front chassis is still in place as this is already one of the strongest points on the car. We also made vents for the air-conditioning radiator, and it is well protected.
The weight is about 30kg, “66lbs”
We are not finished yet still need a few adjustments and a proper coat of paint is still needed

This is what we came up with. Your comment s would be appreciated

When finished I’ll post more pictures
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Sorry about this but I think thats too heavy and makes it look like a barge. 10 out of 10 for effort though. Could you not bring back a bit of an overhang so that the "Bib" part sits behind a more prominent bumper section i.e. rather like the original plastic cover?
Regards
Paul C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
very tidy , lot of work in that.
only thing i'd change is the depth underneath , probably reduce it up to the bottom ventilation slot and straight across.
but otherwise well done.
are you going to colour code it to the vehicle ?

.................tasi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
tasi devil said:
very tidy , lot of work in that.
only thing i'd change is the depth underneath , probably reduce it up to the bottom ventilation slot and straight across.

meant to add...extend the post at the back of the indicator/headlight guard down to the top of the bar. a little tap on the side and you'll easily damage the guard etc.

but otherwise well done.
are you going to colour code it to the vehicle ?

.................tasi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
tasi devil said:
only thing i'd change is the depth underneath , probably reduce it up to the bottom ventilation slot and straight across.
but otherwise well done. are you going to colour code it to the vehicle ?

.................tasi
to which underside vent slot are you referring tasi? i've wondered where the opening to the air cleaner box is for some time now. i mean i know generally where it is but not seen it.
i too think it's quite cool. i'm not going to beat the "shave it so it's higher crowd" horse. i'm am in agreement with that.
don't you want a little more clearance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
hey predator;
was talking about the slot nearest the ground. would give some more clearance for approach angle and aesthetically would look neater it looks nose heavy
all constructive criticism not bashing, i actually appreciate how much work has gone into making it.
the HardRange one is imo about ideal, the RockRover one is very 'minimalist' and 'functional', imo not suiting the vehicle at all

the airbox entry for these P38's is in the very front of the LH guard about 1/2 way down.......a really bloody stupid place. consequently gets a gutfull of water real easy and makes it very difficult to add a snorkel. the only option is to come along outside the top of the guard, because passage for airflow at the top of the wheel arch is very restricted in shape and volume.
the fellas...Andy-Paul...at HardRange have just about got one ready to market commercially.
these things die big time with any water ingestion to the motor or electronics under the front seats.

...........tasi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input

My main goal with this bumper is to hide all parts; you normally see when you remove the bumper. The other steel bumpers you see the water bottle the air-conditioning radiator, and other parts of the air-conditioning system.
Here in Namibia we have a lot of warthogs and can be very damaging to any vehicle, the lowest part of the bumper is in line with lowest part of the chassis but about an inch forward from the chassis, there the bend goes up to the main bumper. I don’t think you’ll get that more ground clearance if you cut it below the vent. Like I said it is mainly for warthog and other smaller mammals roaming on our roads, the idea is if you had to drive over one, that the animal in question will go underneath your car and not damaging the lower radiator “sorry if I have upset anyone” with animal statement but it does happen quite a lot here in NAM.
The bumper is getting strengthened is in for the last two days the headlight guard is getting type of braces in. But also should be noted your Headlight guards won’t help you in an accident, it is mainly for small branches and bird strikes.
Painting is going to be MATT black, I thought of doing a white colour coat, but decided against it. I’ll ask my wife to change in on her MAC she is graphic designer.
Price I don’t have a final price on these, if the site administrators allow it will post it in the for sale section with all details relating to cost etc.

Chow will post more pics soon. Bumper is still in for final touch up’s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
rangenam said:
Thanks for all the input

My main goal with this bumper is to hide all parts; you normally see when you remove the bumper. The other steel bumpers you see the water bottle the air-conditioning radiator, and other parts of the air-conditioning system.
Here in Namibia we have a lot of warthogs and can be very damaging to any vehicle, the lowest part of the bumper is in line with lowest part of the chassis but about an inch forward from the chassis, there the bend goes up to the main bumper. I don’t think you’ll get that more ground clearance if you cut it below the vent.

Like I said it is mainly for warthog and other smaller mammals roaming on our roads, the idea is if you had to drive over one, that the animal in question will go underneath your car and not damaging the lower radiator “sorry if I have upset anyone” with animal statement but it does happen quite a lot here in NAM.

The bumper is getting strengthened is in for the last two days the headlight guard is getting type of braces in. But also should be noted your Headlight guards won’t help you in an accident, it is mainly for small branches and bird strikes.
Painting is going to be MATT black, I thought of doing a white colour coat, but decided against it. I’ll ask my wife to change in on her MAC she is graphic designer.
Price I don’t have a final price on these, if the site administrators allow it will post it in the for sale section with all details relating to cost etc.

Chow will post more pics soon. Bumper is still in for final touch up’s
yeh i understand rangenam, particularly about the mammals we have Kangaroo and Wombats here that leave home every evening on suicide missions.
it is not advisable to swerve, just gotta line em up and hit hard with the diffs if you can, go back and check for pouch young, despatch if necessary.
soon as i get mine back will post some pics on how i've done it.

.........tasi
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,425 Posts
I agree that it looks "heavy" in that it is so deep. I also understand the issue hiding all the stuff behind the bar and also of the warthogs ....

I'm not sure how much clearance you have between the top of the A-bar and the bonnet.

The bar I used to have on mine http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/b ... ebump.html was too close to the bonnet. A decent hit would have seen it back on the bonnet lip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Netjiese werk RangeNAM!!

Persoonlik hou ek nie van die DiscoII tiepe hooflig skerms nie, lyk soos...... wel 'n Disco II ;)

Stem wel saam met die 'maak-alles-toe' idee!

Groete!
CRV.


SORRY! Was supposed to be a PM :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I like it. Looks butch, and judging from your description of your driving environment, you put function over form, which is what you should do in that case IMHO. Great job!

(Disclaimer - comment above comes from a guy who cut the bottom of his jeep bumper and fenders off with a sawzall, so take that for what you will. :D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Hey tasi devil, when you say you'll post some pics on "how you did it," do you mean you gonna post some pics on how you lined up and hit a kangaroo, or do you mean you will post pics of your bars.

Just checking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
the bar, but there is plenty of roadkill down here.........the tourists are horrified at how much there is.
took some phone pics last night but can't work out how to download to my computer, have cable etc. but am incompetent with computer stuff
time to call the nephew i think.

............tasi
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
5,425 Posts
customrv said:
Netjiese werk RangeNAM!!

Persoonlik hou ek nie van die DiscoII tiepe hooflig skerms nie, lyk soos...... wel 'n Disco II ;)

Stem wel saam met die 'maak-alles-toe' idee!

Groete!
CRV.


SORRY! Was supposed to be a PM :oops:
For most of us, it still is! :lol:
 

·
Legacy Vendor
Joined
·
341 Posts
Rangenam - I applaud your effort. As the "owner" of the Hard Range Roo Bar design (http://www.hardrange.com/node/3)I can appreciate the effort you have gone to, and you have addressed one of the issues that bothers me with our current bar design.. the lack of protection around the box frame where the condensor and radiator sit. A few constructive criticsms for your consideration:
- the lower part of the centre protection panel should be angled back further in line with the box frame to not impede aproach angle
- the outrigger protection around the lights should be attached to the bar sides to improve stiffness
- forget the tie-down/recovery point and add your own recovery points in-line with the chassis brackets
- vertical slots for airflow will work more efficiently than horizontal ones

BTW: the Hard Range "bash plate" between the Roo Bar and box frame is ready to go once the snorkel is released to production.

If you make a side-protection bar that connects the front bar to the sliders, I'll get worried that you're reading my mind ;)

Cheers, Paul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
tasi devil said:
hey predator;
was talking about the slot nearest the ground...the airbox entry for these P38's is in the very front of the LH guard about 1/2 way down.......a really bloody stupid place. consequently gets a gutfull of water real easy and makes it very difficult to add a snorkel. the only option is to come along outside the top of the guard, because passage for airflow at the top of the wheel arch is very restricted in shape and volume.
the fellas...Andy-Paul...at HardRange have just about got one ready to market commercially.
these things die big time with any water ingestion to the motor or electronics under the front seats.

...........tasi
thanks tasi. :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top