RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the amber incandescent bulb in my interior overhead dome light with LED lights on my 2012 RR Sport. The car comes with the white/blue LED accent lights already in all four door handles and the dome light amber color just looks odd when it comes on. Is it a 194 bulb or one of those festoon bulbs?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
194, but the depth is limited, so get as short of a LED as you can, a lot of them don't fit right. To make it look right, try to find one with a diffused cap/lens, which personally I haven't seen any decent ones available recently.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I replaced all map and dome lights in my 2013 LR4 with Osram LEDriving 4000K (warm light) W5W bulbs. They are great, phenomenally bright, 100% compatible with the OEM incandescents and using a lot less juice of course - 1 watt versus 5. Only downside, they are quite expensive at $10/12 a piece (they do come with a 5-year warranty at least, unlike the cheap eBay stuff from China.) I took a few shots to illustrate the difference in light color, but you need to see them in the flesh to appreciate the improvement. Stick to 4000K, there are "cooler" versions of this bulb available from Osram, but in my opinion they are not a good fit for a map or overhead light. These are plenty white with no obnoxiously blue tint, and complement the small accent LEDs in the door cards quite well.

Overhead dome LED (OSRAM) vs stock incandescents map lights:
Osram1000376.jpg

Difference between OSRAM LED and incandescent, lens removed:
Osram1000377.jpg

OSRAM-LEDRIVING-WARM-WHITE-W5W-BULBS-PRODUCT-SHOT_750_750.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
Other useful applications for the Osram LEDriving 4K in the MY06-09 include the front side-marker positions, where they match the xenon headlights very well, and the license plate lights. They may get too hot for the amber side markers on the headlights (according a previous post by Dave/RoverGuy7). For side repeater positions on the doors, they require resistors in order to avoid the rapid clicking sound during turn signaling. An intermediate option to LEDriving bulbs in the overhead console is Osram MINIXEN 2886X bulbs. These are 6w halogen versions of the W5W/194/T10 bulbs. They have an ultra long life and are up to 80% brighter than the OEM wedge bulbs. They are brighter than OEMs but not as bright as the LEDriving bulbs - a reasonable compromise for those who don't want to feel like they are in a surgery suite when the overhead lights come on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used the 194 Osram LED in my dome and map lights on 2008 sport and makes a huge difference. I did notice that one didn't work at first but simply turning the bulb around fixed it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
799 Posts
UMBERTO!!!

Links! URLs!!!! Where did you get these gems?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I ordered the Osram LEDriving bulbs from the UK, a company called Power Bulbs (www.powerbulbs.com), with the ongoing 25% off promo their prices are actually competitive with the eBay listings of these same bulbs, which seem a bit more iffy however (shipping from Russia), and the bulbs arrived in about a week. I couldn't find any decently priced US-based suppliers, not the "usual suspects" anyway: Amazon, auto parts stores, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts