RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been almost 3 weeks since I took delivery of my Velar.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It drives great and I love how it looks inside and out.

But I buy new cars very frequently (28 over the last 20 years) so I'm not going to sugar-coat anything with regards to how it compares so far to other makes I've had experience with. The initial build quality of my Velar First Edition has been disappointing to say the least. Since I'm new to the Land Rover brand, I would like to ask the Land Rover vets here, is this par for the course with this brand? I understand that any brand new model will have its teething issues, but I at least expected them to have better quality control before shipping these out from the factory. I'm actually surprised that some of these even got past the dealer's pre-delivery inspection. For comparison, my Audi Q7 was also an early build as one of the first US deliveries from my dealer, and it has just as much tech as the Velar yet has not had a single problem since I bought it 18 months ago. Flawless.

So here's the current list:

1. rubber seal/gasket on the front leading edge of the pano-roof glass has a huge defect not only cosmetically but functionality is compromised (it allows some water leakage in the area which fortunately still drains around the inner well of the roof under the glass and doesn't get into the cabin)
2. front passenger's side upper door trim has a large indentation and the retaining clips are damaged leaving a visible gap between the interior door panel and the window glass (looks like someone tried to force it incorrectly at the factory and bent the clips)
3. Infotainment system crashes or freezes occasionally (6 times now in the 20 days I've had it) where it renders some systems disabled (sound system, bluetooth, navigation, parking aids, etc). A shutdown/restart cycle usually fixes it, but one time it didn't and only letting it sit for over an hour before restarting would allow it to "reboot" and fix itself. Do they test these things at all at Land Rover before making it ready for prime time?
4. The dual-sliding center armrests on the center console have the wrong color and material installed at the factory. My car is a First Edition, and it's supposed to be an Ivory premium leather material. Instead my car's center console armrests are cheap-feeling hard synthetic leather material in a darker beige/almond color that doesn't match the rest of the leather in the car. The same dealer had another First Edition of the same exact spec as mine on the lot that just arrived and sure enough, that one had the proper center armrests on it, which confirms the fact that the factory installed the wrong ones. (See pic below)
5. Strong vibrations when braking from highway speeds. Dealer confirmed this was not normal with a test drive but said it might go away after some driving and attributed it possibly to the fact that the car had to sit at port awaiting regulation for a longer-than-expected time. So 20 days have now passed and while most of it has indeed gone away, it still shudders a bit when braking firmly from 70+ mph. Dealer said they will look into it further when the car goes in for the other items, and will replace rotors or pads as needed to address it. I've never experienced such brake vibrations from any new car until now.

Fortunately, I'm dealing with an excellent dealership who seem genuinely concerned about making me a happy customer. They are bending over backwards to make this right, have already ordered replacement parts, and have given me the VIP treatment with regards to communication and offering me pickup and delivery of the vehicle with a loaner when the parts arrive so I don't have to drive 60 miles round trip out of my way.

Not deal breakers in my opinion, buy still a very unfortunate first experience with the brand. I want to love this car, but this is certainly the most issues I've had with any new car. I've had a Mercedes and BMW with 1-2 issues arise within the first week of delivery, but not 5 and counting right off the bat like this Velar. Perhaps I'm just very unlucky and this is indeed an outlier, unless some of you can chime in with your experiences with Land Rover products' quality control versus other brands.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is terrible on the centre armrests, going out to check mine now. I also have a First Edition, two days old and am experiencing some software issues. This morning it would not recognize my iPhone at all but went out at lunch and all working now. Biggest issue is the bottom part of the doors where the stripe is, it is lifting off, does not look like it was attached properly. Service manager says it looks warped and they have to order new ones, a six week wait. I really like the way it looks and how it drives and will be patient. Now to try to figure out the HUD, I can see incoming and outgoing calls, it displays speed and RPMs but no media and I have the box checked. Also on yours, does it display which gear you are in while driving (3,4,5 etc) or just P, R, or D. I have the gears checked in the HUD menu as well, but can't see anything. I only see the D indicator when the vehicle is stopped, any idea if this is normal??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I remember browsing through the owner's manual and seeing that the gear number is only displayed when you are in sport mode with paddle shifting activated. I also don't see media on the HUD. I do see RPM when in sport mode and gear numbers when paddle-shifters activate manual mode.

Do you sometimes find the steering wheel buttons unresponsive or perhaps when a specific button is pressed you sometimes get the wrong result as if you pressed the wrong button? This happens frequently when I'm navigating the menu. I make deliberate attempts to press up or down but sometimes it registers something else like right or ok. I'm not sure if I just have fat fingers but I find the steering wheel buttons' responsiveness a hit and miss.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my first Land Rover as well. That makes sense for the gears on the HUD, I see the RPM in Dynamic mode, will try sport mode tomorrow with the paddle shifters. Still trying to figure out how it can show the media in the HUD as the brochure states, hope it is just something I am doing wrong, will continue to experiment. I find where you touch the steering wheel buttons are hit and miss sometimes too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well I hope your issues get solved shortly down the road.

Funny you mention the issue of the armrests... I got to check out a Velar that just arrived at a local dealership the other day and noticed the same thing, an Acorn interior with Vintage Tan armrests, looked terribly out of place. How could a factory worker make such a mistake unless on purpose if there is a shortage of certain colors/materials???

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Unfortunately, I think this may be par for new LR models. My (long term) salesperson does me a favor by keeping me at bay until the 2nd year of a new model rolls out. Usually works out well, as I have never experienced the types of problems you are describing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could just be anecdotal talk considering the issues with my Velar, but my dealer claims that when the new RRS arrived a few years ago, one of their early customer-ordered cars showed up at the dealership with different-colored front seats. Funny but sad if true. The folks working at the Solihull, UK vehicle assembly plant must really need to lay off the pints before the work day is truly done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, I haven’t been paying any attention to the mileage at all since much of my drives lately are short errands through busy city streets, lots of sitting in traffic jams, with only occasional highway drives. It’s also still breaking in and I only have 600 miles.

Once we take this thing on a road trip and get some longer drives, I will definitely see what kind of mileage it gets on a full tank, and with a couple of thousand miles more on the engine.

The trip computer last showed 21mpg but I really don’t trust any car’s on-board reporting as I’ve often found them to be optimistic by several mpgs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
threeput... looks like we're not alone with regards to how frustratingly unresponsive the capacitive steering wheel buttons are on the Velar. See Mat Watson's CarWow video review of the Velar below at 9:08

[video]https://youtu.be/RXm6XMO2_j8?t=548[/video]

I wish they would've just stuck with the same normal physical steering-wheel buttons that have worked perfectly fine in the current RR and RRS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got our 1st edition a few days ago. Climate control seems to be stuck in the rear seat control area. No options visible for "Front" or "Rear" controls. Actually when the dealer was walking us through the care the system may of started the glitch then but it took me banging my head against it to figure out the glitch is there. I always go by the theory "When all else fails reboot it." Haven't a clue how to reboot on a car though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the First Editions, there is no option visible to choose between front/rear control simply because there are no rear climate controls aside from opening and closing the rear vents manually. First Editions can only be had with 2-zone climate control. The option for 4-zone is available as part of a $870 Climate Package that can be chosen for any other Velar build including even the base non 4-cylinder non-S, but just not the First Edition.

As a Land Rover noob myself, I still find this to be a very odd decision for an otherwise highly-spec’d $90k car but I guess that’s how Land Rover typically rolls with First Edition models as I’ve learned from some past responses on this forum when I first complained about this very topic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts