RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just wondering if there are any of you out there who knows what bubling in the radiator/overflow tank could mean. Any replies would be appreciated
Thanks
Rangie_

·
Registered
523 Posts
It probably means bad news. Likely you've got compression gasses leaking into the cooling system which means head gasket or cracked head or similar.

Have you got steam out of the exhaust pipe as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are the radiator hoses hard or do they show any signs of pressure after the engine is warmed up and has been ran for twenty minutes or so?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had clogged radiators give me identicle symptoms as blown head gasket. While trouble shooting dont forget to bleed cooling system, fill from metal heater line tower with rad plug removed until water flows out of rad. This removes any air in lines, which sometimes cause overheating or bubbling.

·
Registered
523 Posts
classicjack said:
While trouble shooting dont forget to bleed cooling system, fill from metal heater line tower with rad plug removed until water flows out of rad. This removes any air in lines, which sometimes cause overheating or bubbling.
That's a good point. I've always had terrible trouble fully bleeding the system. The method I use that seems to work is to top up the expansion bottle, then run the engine up to temperature with the lid of the expansion bottle still off, then let it cool full (overnight) still with the lid of the bottle off. In the morning top up the coolant as necessary, refit the lid and off you go. It's a bit of a pain, and there may be other methods that work, but that's the one that works for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danny said:
It probably means bad news. Likely you've got compression gasses leaking into the cooling system which means head gasket or cracked head or similar.

Have you got steam out of the exhaust pipe as well?
Hard to tell if there's steam coming out of the exhaust... its white exhaust fumes and always has be (it runs on LPG)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nateb006 said:
Are the radiator hoses hard or do they show any signs of pressure after the engine is warmed up and has been ran for twenty minutes or so?
The radiator hoses arn't hard but if you squeeze them the water level rises in the radiator from pressure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts