RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing Tuesday morning I got a check engine light on start up.
Pulled a P0301, missfire on #1. Code cleared and didnt comeback all day.
Weds morning, and this morning same thing.
It's been in the teens (Fahrenheit) this week here in the morning, but gets up to 50-60 during the day.
Code clears, runs great, get to work fine. Ride home no issues at all.

Until today.
About 1/2 mile from the house this afternoon the temp pegged and the red light came on, pulled over, turned the heat up on high, temp came down, made it home with the needle in the normal zone.

Popped the hood and it looks like I have connected an air compressor to the bottom hose leading into the expansion tank. Grape sized bubbles, constant stream of them.

So I am going to go out on a limb and say that I have exhaust feeding into my cooling system. With the engine in the vehicle is there any way to tell if its just head gaskets or a cracked block?

This is a 2000 P38, US spec 4.6 engine. 151,000 miles. I have owned it for 2 years and put 17k on it. Have never had any issues. I have even replaced the EAS system.

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Get it sniffed to be sure that it is exhaust in the coolant, but it does sound like it.
Compression/ leak-down test to pinpoint problem cylinder(s)
Once heads are off, the block can be sealed and a leak-down/ pressure test performed with the block still in the car which will usually pick up a cracked block.
Don't assume the worst case though. Head gaskets and a skim if required should do the trick, but the more it overheats, the greater the damage so deal with it straight away.

·
Registered
770 Posts
sounds like a head gasket has given up, it’s unusual for blocks to crack, or liners to slip.
the more you drive, the more damage you could cause. Use elring head gaskets, or genuine LR.
not a hard job, hardest part normally is getting the heat shields off the exhaust manifold..

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Luckily I do have another vehicle, so yeah no more driving.
Have worked on GM small blocks and diesels, and the LR 2.25l so have all the tools and not afraid of a simple head gasket.

Figure I might as well also change the water pump, and will put in a new thermostat. It has maybe 5-6 month old belts and hoses. Anything else you would change at 150,000 miles since your in there?
Timing chain?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Depends on how long you are thinking of keeping it, but timing chain, tensioner and oil pump are worth considering. Having said that when my head gasket failed (not leaking water - just sounded like a wounded Harley Davidson) I didn't change anything else, but I did do both heads. Pretty straightforward job - good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry forgot that the most difficult part by far is getting the heat shields off the exhaust manifolds. I'd already been through this when I did my heads. I ended up ripping some of the captive nuts off, but using nuts and bolts with big washers works pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts