RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for another car, something with better gas mileage. Im at wits end on buying something in the 5-9k range or selling the rover and getting something in the 15-25 range. Let me just say it, Im thinking of selling my last p38 range :crybaby2: :oops: :crybaby2:

I posted the truck on (cough) and I will say this, if it doesnt sale for the price I want I will not sale it. Its to rare and unique and nice. My question to the group is , how much do you honestly think I will get for a 2002 p38 in flawless condition exterior and interior, well maintained thats been converted to coils. 119k miles. oxford leather package, all options etc. :?:

Cant believe I am compteplating this........

P.S. And no one dare call me a quitter as 1. I still own the truck and 2. there is nothing wrong with it for me to quit on :D

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Re: BROTHERS!!!!!! LEND ME YOUR EARS

$7k.

don't sell it. You have a boner for these thing, and you'll just be back in one again in a few years. Yours is in great shape, so I'd keep it and look for another daily driver type car. No idea what you like, so I can't help you there. Jeep? Rx7? 3 series?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

NO JEEP, BLASPHEMY
NO WANKEL (I wanna bike on two wheels not four)
had a couple of 3 5 & 7 series beamers but once you go 8 series you never go anywhere else.

2nd car im looking at "without" selling the range are
320 series mercedes early 2000 years, either CLK ML or E or even a SLK
Porsche 968 or 944
Cadillac DTS
Freelander <shoot me>
Acura CL or TL or RL early 2000 models
Chrylser Sebring
I think that is all the cars I have been looking at so far......

Now, if i do get rid of the range
Mercedes S500 02 up
BMW 745li 02 up
Porsche Boxster
CLK430 Cabriolet
Acura TL 04 up
Mercedes ML55 AMG

Any thoughts??????

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

89+ 944 turbo then (951). My favorite car of all time, and pretty affordable as well.

Get those boxster/sebring/freelander choices out of there...unless you're a chick.

·
Registered
867 Posts

I had a 2002 ML320 and a 2005 ML500.

Skip them.

·
Registered
867 Posts

I'll second that.

I have a 1999 Lexus LX470, had a 2001 and 1993 Land Cruiser. Sold the Land Cruisers with a ridiculous amount of miles, and the Lexus is on its way there. They get slightly better gas mileage, but what you won't really save in gas you will save in repairs.

And they still can go off road.

The P38 and the Classic

The LX and the P38

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts

vmystikilv said:
Ive been looking for another car, something with better gas mileage. Im at wits end on buying something in the 5-9k range :crybaby2: :oops: :crybaby2:
Can I just check the economics of this plan?

You're concerned about the fuel economy of the Range Rover?
And you think that spending $5-9K on a new daily driver is a way to save money?

Let's say you drop $8k on one of the cars on your list, you'll then have to insure it, you'll be driving it everyday so you'll likely have to service it twice in the first year and you'll probably want to bung a new stereo in or otherwise modify.
So lets say you drop $10k in the first year.

Assuming petrol is $3 per gallon in your area, thats 3333 gallons you could have put in the Range Rover (thus enabling you to drive 40,000 miles at 12mpg.

If you still think you'd be saving, then lets assume you get 24mpg in your new car. If you drive that 15k miles in the first year then you've saved $1875 in fuel costs over driving the Rover.
So you'd make an overall loss in the first year of $8125 when your purchase/insurance/service/mod costs are added in.

By all means buy yourself a fun car.
But I don't think fuel economy is any kind of justification for SLK or a 968.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Tim (Scotland) said:
vmystikilv said:
Ive been looking for another car, something with better gas mileage. Im at wits end on buying something in the 5-9k range :crybaby2: :oops: :crybaby2:
Can I just check the economics of this plan?

You're concerned about the fuel economy of the Range Rover?
And you think that spending $5-9K on a new daily driver is a way to save money?

Let's say you drop $8k on one of the cars on your list, you'll then have to insure it, you'll be driving it everyday so you'll likely have to service it twice in the first year and you'll probably want to bung a new stereo in or otherwise modify.
So lets say you drop $10k in the first year.

Assuming petrol is $3 per gallon in your area, thats 3333 gallons you could have put in the Range Rover (thus enabling you to drive 40,000 miles at 12mpg.

If you still think you'd be saving, then lets assume you get 24mpg in your new car. If you drive that 15k miles in the first year then you've saved $1875 in fuel costs over driving the Rover.
So you'd make an overall loss in the first year of $8125 when your purchase/insurance/service/mod costs are added in.

By all means buy yourself a fun car.
But I don't think fuel economy is any kind of justification for SLK or a 968.
Gospel. I have always wondered at the logic of spending a dollar to save a dime :think:

·
Registered
701 Posts

There are several good cheap cars out there if you are only looking to spend 5 to 8k. If I were you, I would get an 06 SAAB 9-3. They are fast, fun to drive, and get 38mpg and are very reliable. Your range is gorgeous, and you'll be kicking yourself until you buy another lol. I too have thought about selling my RR recently, but honestly, it just doesn't make sense. That and I love the stupid thing lol.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
If you really want to buy an economical car then get this http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1734628823.html bulk buy fuel filters and run it on waste vegetable oil.

Assuming $4k for car/insurance/filters/and a strainer or two and that you could get free WVO, then you'd only have to drive 16,000 miles before you started saving money!

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts

vmystikilv said:
2nd car im looking at "without" selling the range are
320 series mercedes early 2000 years, either CLK ML or E or even a SLK
Porsche 968 or 944
Cadillac DTS
Freelander <shoot me>
Acura CL or TL or RL early 2000 models
Chrylser Sebring
I think that is all the cars I have been looking at so far......

Now, if i do get rid of the range
Mercedes S500 02 up
BMW 745li 02 up
Porsche Boxster
CLK430 Cabriolet
Acura TL 04 up
Mercedes ML55 AMG

Any thoughts??????
Gay
Gay
Gay
Gay
Gay

The only car on the list I would take a second glance at would be a sweet little black 944. Besides a mint P38 with a Oxford interior.

You sell that P38 in a year you will want another Range and you will never find another mint P38. They are 1 in a 1000 now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. After you guys and my brother. This Range is not going to be sold. To you guys and my brothers point. I will never find another one close to this one. Plus, I always get the bug to have one but I have always gotten better with each one. I have removed the range listing off (Cough) and have parked it in the garage. Feels like im tucking in a family member tonight....

Not sure who said it but I feel the need to qoute a member on this board

"when I die, bury me in my range rover, it will save the fire brigade the trouble of cutting me out."

So on to the 2nd car idea. Had a red 944 87 while back. Red mint. Great little car. heck, a 944 cabrio or 968 would be great. Gotcha, no boxter. But, for the price of a 80-90 porsche I can pick up a 2000 ml 320. I have had a 99 ml 320 and a 99ml 430 and both where good suvs. I think im leaning between those choices for the 2nd car

And why no freelander???? Thats the one car I have never drove and never been in but figured its still a land rover..... Are the reliable???

·
Registered
701 Posts
freelander is a ford escape with LR badging and leather.
pretty much! That and the early ones had horrible engines and tons of problems. OH and they aren't very safe either.... Fuel economy is sub-par on them for a compact SUV. I would purchase an LR2 (2nd Gen Freelander) but definitely not the 1st generation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I take it that is why they are on craigslist for 4000-6000 dollars. I thought they were like baby range rovers without low range. Guess I was wrong, They at least have 4wd dont they. :?:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey VMY,
I was in the same situation last year, and I posted my truck on this site for sale, and I ended up pulling the post for sale out and keeping it, because I couldn't part with the **** thing, you can drive any SUV U want, nothing feels like the RR!, ended up buying 98 BMW 5 series 528i( very dependable) as a daily driver car, just a thought :D
good luck on your search!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was also struggling with gas so decided to buy myself a scooter which I use to go to the shops on and generally cruise around on, im saving plenty dont sell the range honestly yours is awesome and you will never find another one like it, I also can believe how much cars cost in the states they are dirt cheap compared to the price here if I sold my range i could probably swap it straight for a MK1 golf or get about R70 000 for it about $10 000 US have a look at mine and you will see its not worth that when compared to yours

·
Registered
966 Posts
You can get a nice Audi B5 S4 for <10k. Would be my choice. You can mod the bejesus out of them, and nowadays can pick up a heavily modified one for under 10k

1 - 20 of 42 Posts