RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I've got two keyfobs for my P38 but one of them is broken and the remote doesn't work. This means that I cannot use this key to start the P38 because it will not properly negotiate with the immobilizer.
But, after reading this thread [url]http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/12-diagnostic-equipment/24581-becm-market-setting-specifications-2.html[/url] I'm under the impression that if I configure my BECM to Australian or Gulf market I can start the car with this key, since the reconfiguration will disable the immobiliser feature.
Am I correct on this assumption ?

Cheers,

Manuel

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Bom Dia,

I'm going to risk a repy although I'm not certain.

Yes, set to Gulf Region there is no EKA (for sure) and no immobiliser (I think).

However, I believe that the BECM still looks for a code from a chip in the key when in the ignition? Could be completely wrong about this.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Mine starts fine with my key that is broken. I cannot get the battery cover off since the previous owner musy have tried using a screw driver to get it off. Its totally screwed and stuck.

I keep this key in the truck and my working key with me in my pocket so I can lock and unlock the doors.

Maybe some had a crack at the settings. But its never had any issues with my keys. Its not like someone is going to steal the POS anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
You don't need to change the market, in the settings of the BECM you can simply turn the immobiliser and/or EKA off. That way you only need a key and no remote to open and start the car. I did this when we took the Rangie to Ladoga: my copilot carried a spare key (just the blade) around her neck for emergencies, should the keyfob get lost, damaged, wet...

·
Registered
931 Posts
You don't need to change the market, in the settings of the BECM you can simply turn the immobiliser and/or EKA off. That way you only need a key and no remote to open and start the car. I did this when we took the Rangie to Ladoga: my copilot carried a spare key (just the blade) around her neck for emergencies, should the keyfob get lost, damaged, wet...
I am intrigued how you turn off the immobilizer in the BECM.As I have both the BBS BECM software for OBD access and direct CPU access and I can not find any setting that turns off the immobilizer.The EKA code yes ,but not the immobilizer.The only option for the immobilizer is to turn on/off its passive function.
On my 1995 P38 if you lock/unlock the vehicle with the key (do not use remote fob)then the vehicle can be started without entering the EKA code,even though it is enabled in the BECM.I understand if the vehicle is locked in this way and somebody breaks a window to gain access and tries to start the vehicle it will be immobilized as the BECM would not have received a signal from the door lock to send the code to the Engine ECU to enable engine start.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
208 Posts
Hi Manuel,
Have you tried taking the fob apart?
I had a problem with one of my fobs when i bought my P38. Common problem where someone had used the wrong equipment trying to change the battery.
It is possible to prize the fob apart carefully, and get access to the control board. I noticed with mine that putting the battery onto the board i could make the connections and it seemed to work.
WIth a fob rebuild kit from ebay it is almost as good as new. You can also get complete uncut keyfobs if you make a mess of prizing the fob apart. You can then use your existing circuit board and blade in the new fob. Mine is just about still serviceable though, certainly as a spare!
I found once the battery cover has been damaged, it doesn't keep enough pressure on the battery and the circuit is not completed in the keyfob.

I think the immobiliser function is probably "passive" though, so not sure whether this will solve that part of your problem, but might be worth a try to keep your security.

I'm fairly certain in the UK if you disable your immobiliser (and let your insurance company know!) they might increase premiums substantially.
Matt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.

I've asked specifically about changing the market because I own a Hawkeye and IIRC it can do that but it can't change specific settings (like enabling/disabling just the immobiliser).

About the keyfob, I've opened it and had a friend of mine that is good with electronics have a look at it. He soldered some dry joints around the buttons but it still doesn't work. If I open the car with this key and try to start it I just get an engine immobilised message on the display... :(

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I am intrigued how you turn off the immobilizer in the BECM.As I have both the BBS BECM software for OBD access and direct CPU access and I can not find any setting that turns off the immobilizer.The EKA code yes ,but not the immobilizer.The only option for the immobilizer is to turn on/off its passive function.
On my 1995 P38 if you lock/unlock the vehicle with the key (do not use remote fob)then the vehicle can be started without entering the EKA code,even though it is enabled in the BECM.I understand if the vehicle is locked in this way and somebody breaks a window to gain access and tries to start the vehicle it will be immobilized as the BECM would not have received a signal from the door lock to send the code to the Engine ECU to enable engine start.
I don't have my Rovacom with me at the moment, but will try and remember to check over the weekend.
I can confirm with the EKA disabled, you can lock, unlock and start the car with just the key (as I have done on occasion when I misplaced my keyfod...). Even if the car has been locked with the fob, you still have full functionality with just the key. I can't say if the immobiliser is simply deactivated when the central locking opens, or it never activates in the first place. Not sure how to check for that either, as the BECM wont communicate as long as the alarm is armed/ without the key in ignition II.
Filip

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't have my Rovacom with me at the moment, but will try and remember to check over the weekend.
I can confirm with the EKA disabled, you can lock, unlock and start the car with just the key (as I have done on occasion when I misplaced my keyfod...). Even if the car has been locked with the fob, you still have full functionality with just the key. I can't say if the immobiliser is simply deactivated when the central locking opens, or it never activates in the first place. Not sure how to check for that either, as the BECM wont communicate as long as the alarm is armed/ without the key in ignition II.
Filip
It is possible then that your immobilizer is still been activated/deactivated each time you lock/unlock with the key.
Try locking with the drivers window open and then reach in with key and try and start the engine.It might then give an engine immobilized message.(May have to wait until the BECM goes to sleep,before attempting to start)
Always something to learn with these vehicles!.
Does your vehicle/s have the coil around the ignition switch?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I've asked specifically about changing the market because I own a Hawkeye and IIRC it can do that but it can't change specific settings (like enabling/disabling just the immobiliser).

About the keyfob, I've opened it and had a friend of mine that is good with electronics have a look at it. He soldered some dry joints around the buttons but it still doesn't work. If I open the car with this key and try to start it I just get an engine immobilised message on the display... :(
Your vehicle may have the coil around the ignition switch and therefore will require the fob to be functional as it signals the fob to transmit to the BECM via the RF receiver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts