Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing my fuel pump, I've accidently put a hole at the base of my pump enclosure (circled red in pic.). Question is what is the purpose of the eclosure? Is it there to keep debri from getting to the pump and to make sure that the pump is submerged in gas till the last gallon of fuel in the tank? Anyway, I've installed it with that hole and car starts fine, but is there something that I'm missing and it is a bad idea to run it like that? Mixer

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
You should be fine. It stays submerged in fuel. Might be sucking air if you are on an extreme angle but I can't see it affecting normal operation. The housing is designed so you don't suck air off roading at extreme angles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
You should be fine even at extreme angles. The fuel pump actively fills this enclosure with the excess fuel that gets sent back from the injectors. So you sould never "suck" air. The fuel will likely leak from here and end up back in the fuel tank. So you will have a small leak which will be significantly less than the fuel returning from the injector filling the container.

The fuel gets sucked in from those two tubes and then from also inside this container.

I would have fixed the crack with some epoxy myself but you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.