RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled out in the road and I couldn't get her to shift into gear no matter what I do. Didn't hear anything break etc. Pulled her back into the garage and decided that now is as good as any time to do the engine rebuild I need to do (slipped sleeve). I pulled out the engine/trans/transfer case and once I pulled the transmission off the engine I see that the flex plate is destroyed. Wondering if anybody else has seen this or knows what would cause such destruction.
Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is often reported on forums...seems to be an under-engineered OEM part.An uprated plate is available...google it. (Possibly RPI Engineering, UK.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I pulled out in the road and I couldn't get her to shift into gear no matter what I do. Didn't hear anything break etc. Pulled her back into the garage and decided that now is as good as any time to do the engine rebuild I need to do (slipped sleeve). I pulled out the engine/trans/transfer case and once I pulled the transmission off the engine I see that the flex plate is destroyed. Wondering if anybody else has seen this or knows what would cause such destruction. Visit this link to find the car diagnostic tool that you may concern.
Thanks! View attachment 280963 View attachment 280964 View attachment 280965
not sure if it helps you or not but still give you for your reference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a couple of P38’s and that just happened to me a few weeks ago (165,000 miles). It took out the crank shaft position sensor and a few teeth off the flywheel at the same time. My feeling is that the factory did not spend any time balancing the engine and that’s contributing to stress fractures over the years. Ashcroft in the UK sells a thicker plate (2mm instead of the 1.6mm), but I just put in the factory one again as I didn’t want to wait. I’m sure I’ll have other issues before I get to another 150,000 miles or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
JohnnoK
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing