RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nursed along a leaking water pump for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, after all my parts arrived, I dove into the project. Pretty straight forward until the very last bolt on the bottom of the water pump broke. There is a small portion that remains visible. This is what I am thinking but looking for thoughts from those that have experienced this.

First, try to secure a set of really tight vise grips onto the section of bolt that remains- I doubt this will work.
Second, work through the process of using an easy out- this might work, but 50/50 chance based upon my history.
Third, drill out the entire bolt as close as I can to the original size without creating damage to threads, pick out the remaining pieces of the bolt- this could work, but also comes with risk.
Fourth, if three works, run a thread chaser to clean things up.
Fifth, and last resort that I know of, completely drill out and Heli-Coil- I really don't want to do this.

Anybody have any other tricks?

I also believe that I should replace all the bolts that house the water pump. They all seemed as though they were in "tough shape" and probably good precaution. Do you then use anti-seize, lock tight or?

Thanks for any help you can offer, I am anxious to get it back on the road.

Dustin
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
Joined
·
27,771 Posts
If the head has broken off and you have a bit of stud hanging out there purchase a real stud tool. The come in handy for all sorts of projects. THere are a few different variations on what I have pictured, but they all do a much better job than all the gizmos.
 

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
84 Posts
When I bought my RRC in '03, I replaced the water pump and the timing cover.

I had several busted water pump bolts, but also the heater hose port was corroded at the back of the timing cover.

Inspect your timing cover for corrosion.

There is an additional outlet at the back, you must drill it out and plug the original outlet, then install a longer L shaped hose.

I replaced the timing cover with a used one, also got new heater pipes and all new hoses and belts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Same exact issue. I cried. But I actually BROKE off a section of the housing. I decided to put a stud in with lock tight and then a nut. It has worked for a over a year now.... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input, I successfully wrapped up the job today. I ended up having to carefully drill out the bolt and then re-tap the hole. I took my time and it went just fine. Ended up running back down to the parts store and replaced all the bolts securing the water pump just to make sure I did not snap one on the way back in. I ended up replacing the water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, all four belts and the viscous fan clutch. I inspected everything else while I was in there and it looks good. Took her for a good test drive and so far so good.

Thanks again for the help.

Dustin
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top