RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2000 P38, SE 4.0, which my wife drives, and yesterday she called me to tell me the car was acting strange... steering hard, hesitating, no AC. I immediately recognized it as a broken serpentine belt and told her to stop, which she couldn't do right away since she was on the highway. She got off and called me again to tell me the car was smoking. When I got there I realized that not only was the belt broken, but the radiator had exploded. I ordered a new radiator, belt and thermostat. My question is, what are the chances I may have a blown head gasket? She ran it hot, worst case scenario, for about 2 miles. And how do I check for a blown head gasket?
I'm hoping for the best but trying to get ready for the worst!!!
Thanks.
Jim V.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Re: Broken belt, Overheated, Exploded Radiator... Head Gasket???

You can get test kits to test the coolant for HC's but it will become obvious if you replace the items you've ordered (which you'd have to do anyway to use the test kit). That said with the belt off coolant circulation stops immediately this is unsurprising not good, hopefully you'll be lucky.

G

·

Ouch, nasty... don't like the sound of the exploded radiator, unless weak, so most probably due to 'excess' pressure (Yes.. head gasket failure)....

May not actually be enough coolant left to do an accurate HC/sniffer test now, so block off the radiator hoses and do a pressure test via the header/expansion tank. You could even run the car like this -very briefly- after careful filling but it is not recommended. (A few folks reading this are even probably wincing at the thought ?)

Unfortunately just a few (hot) miles without coolant can damage these engines, and the 'lucky' part (if any) is that the heads are not warped too....

·
Registered
234 Posts

I would do a leakdown test (or a compression test at the least )on that engine before going any further.

The rad cap should have vented excess pressure built up in the coolant system, before the rad was pressurised enough to come apart.

G

·

I would do a leakdown test (or a compression test at the least )on that engine before going any further.
What I meant above by the 'pressure test' was a basic coolant leakdown test of course, whereas an additional cylinder leakdown/compression test would reveal which bank/s had failed, too.

I suspect that the complete lack of any water pump action quickly produced superheated steam within the block - ie. before the expansion tank cap could vent it all off (?).

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts

Que, a leakdown test has nothing to do with the header/expansion tank

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
32 Posts

I too have a 2000 P38, 4.0 SE and it has happened to me twice, well actually my ex twice. First time it sound like a bomb going off when the top radiator hose exploded, second time, about a year later, she stopped when she noticed all the steam coming into the car. First time she took it to Land Rover and they put a new hose on it and sent me the bill. Car ran fine. Second time she had it dropped off at my house, guess she didn`t want to see my reaction to another Land Rover bill. Next morning i filled radiator and tank to see what damage was done. Car has ran fine for a year now. I just checked the oil alot at first and always kept an eye on the overflow tank. Looked underneath it alot anytime i stopped somewhere, actually i still do that alot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts