RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I broke the right rear axle on my classic last week, and seem to be having a hard time finding a replacement 10 spline.

A little backstory; it is a 94 LWB with ABS and TC, so as best I can tell it should be 24 spline, but in the rear it has a 10 spline set up, so I am guessing something went wrong in the past (could also tell because they had the brake lines switched, which screwed up the TC).

I got the axle chunk out of the diff, but am unable to find a 10 spline replacement.

It looks like my options are to either:

1. keep looking for 10 spline axle
2. switch to 24. I saw a used 24 spline diff on ebay for a pretty reasonable price. Besides that and axles, would I need anything else?

Any advice would be most appreciated

I really just want to get it back on the road.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
to covert to 24 spline you will need the differential as well, many guys opt to replace the whole assembly rather than convert.
10 spline was standard on classics until 94, 24 spline was fitted to the 95 classic only and to 94 to end of production defender 90 and disco1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the 24 spline front and rear differentials interchangeable? I would rather stick with what is in there, but I still havent had any luck finding a 10 spline axle with the correct end.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Are the 24 spline front and rear differentials interchangeable? I would rather stick with what is in there, but I still havent had any luck finding a 10 spline axle with the correct end.
in a nut shell yes, you can swap front to rear, rear to front differentials on classics, defenders and d1's.
have you tried rovers north and or atlantic british?. second hand, my go to guy has always been Paul Grant. "classic rovers" on ebay and "[email protected]".
being less desirable and an older set up, 10 splines are becoming harder to procure. best of luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts