RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
A common fail on the 98 era fusebox is losing the connection to the fuel pump relay. This makes the relay operation, and consequently, the fuel pump intermittent. Bouncing it around on rough surfaces are likely to make it happen more regularly. With the engine running, try wobbling the fuel pump relay in it's socket. You'll be able to feel it switching even if it doesn't switch off long enough for the engine to die. If the fuel pump itself is intermittent, which is pretty rare as they will usually work or die, then on a GEMS there is nothing to stop you putting an external pump in the fuel line next to the filter. As long as it is capable of supplying sufficient pressure and flow, the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail will deal with the pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just an update that there is nothing to update you guys on right now!

I’ve bought a new fuel pump, coil springs and a few other things for the Rover just haven’t had time to install them. My company sent me to open a new location from scratch and that has consumed most of my free time! Hope to at least get the fuel pump in this month.

Once I get these items done it will be time for a respray and a little cosmetic restoration.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I have the fuel pump assembly and a suspension lift kit both on order. Hoping to net about a two inch lift with the kit I ordered. CB came in today, waiting on the antenna so I can get it installed. Slowly getting everything together to get the truck ready for Fall/Winter when I will attempt to use it as a trail rig again. I’m still looking semi-seriously at 07-09 L322 trucks as a trail rig replacement for my P38. I will keep the P38 as my Beach/boat truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Story got me right in from start to finish!! If you ever come to Australia, you'd be most welcome to come and do same on my '99, 4.6, Bosch HSE. How good are you at fixing rattles??

·
Registered
364 Posts
It is hard to find a good fuel pump. I made a hatch so it is easy to replace but the first replacement had a stuck gauge.
The second one works fine until you fill it all the way and I get fuel gauge fault on the message center. It works perfect from 7/8ths down. I bought URO
brand but I think you have to be very careful putting them in. I have not tried an expensive one which may be better.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh I had something weird happen, anyways I did put a new fusebox, but I had to put (i used split hose) wire protector because my wires were wearing against the fender, something to check. I only had the R7 meltdown but it was working properly. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Fuel pump is replaced and the truck is running like a top. Fuel gauge is working again as well.

AC has completely failed. I have a new AC compressor I’m going to get installed and then diagnose the issue from there. The AC compressor on the truck now has excessive noise so I’m replacing it to prevent premature failure.

Got my CB installed tonight with 4ft antenna. Will finish wiring the power into the cigar lighter once my new USB charging ports come in that will replace the cigar lighter.

Hoping to get the lift and new starter installed next week on my day off. Please mine the clutter in the background of my photo we finish moving today and I have a few baskets of stuff sitting in the garage waiting to go to Goodwill.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
We've all got a bit of clutter and baggage here and there.

I've got 55 years of emotional baggage. I keep hoping Qantas will lose it on my next flight.

Love that American flag on the back screen. My son and I recently did a few thousand miles across California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona. Not in a P38 of course. Imagine the fuel bill. We slummed it in a convertible Mustang.

This was the trip in which I fell in love with America. I've been many times before but not on such a trip through the majesty, beauty and drama of these most magnificent states.

Lots of retired southerners in RVs touring around.

We call them grey nomads in Australia.

Mustang-ing in Death Valley attached. Mus.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
P38 is a great trail rig. You can get much more travel and articulation with solid axles over independent suspension of an L322. There is a guy in NCLR (norcal land rover club) with a pretty built L322 but it still can't go half the places my P38 can on coils and 33s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
New AC compressor is in, will take it to a shop tomorrow to have the refrigerant replaced in the system. I’ll diagnose it from there to see what other issue I may have going on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got the ac recharged today with 44oz of refrigerant and it’s blowing frosty cold!

Also managed to complete 158mi of driving today without breaking down. A new record! In P38 miles multiple that by 100.

Moving a clients boat tomorrow so I won’t be able to get the loft installed as I had hoped. Will attempt it this week after work in the evenings, same for the new started.

Really debating if I should go ahead and have it repainted or not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been watching your thread with earnest the past 2 months as I am a new P38 owner (1998 HSE) and I have similar issues that I am going through piece by piece ! Love it and am really liking doing some of the mechanical myself. Looking forward to seeing how it does in our Canadian winters (-30 Celsius / -22 ferhenheit and up to 2 feet of snow at times although 2 hours away they get over 30 feet ! Not sure I would risk driving revel stoke yet with mine though... please keep up your posts ! lukester in Calgary

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Been watching your thread with earnest the past 2 months as I am a new P38 owner (1998 HSE) and I have similar issues that I am going through piece by piece ! Love it and am really liking doing some of the mechanical myself. Looking forward to seeing how it does in our Canadian winters (-30 Celsius / -22 ferhenheit and up to 2 feet of snow at times although 2 hours away they get over 30 feet ! Not sure I would risk driving revel stoke yet with mine though... please keep up your posts ! lukester in Calgary
They rock in the winter, great heating system and the full time four wheel drive combined with the weight of the vehicle make it sure footed in the worst of conditions.

Down here in the 90%+ humidity and temps daily ranging 96-98 degrees the P38 does well as long as the cooling system is maintained in good working order and the ac is kept serviced.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Taking the day off work tomorrow to get the lift, USB charge ports and CB wiring installed. I ordered a set of these Patagonia mud terrains tires off Amazon in the 265/75R16 size, they have good magazine reviews. They go on Friday so have to get my projects done tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Got the starter changed out, steering stabilizer changed out and got 95% done with the front suspension swap. The old suspension and parts were in very pitiful condition. Discovered I have a coolant leak to chase down now.

Some helpful hints for people replacing their starters and suspension:
When changing the starter just go ahead and pull the wheel liner it makes the job a lot easier, it’s a 20-30min job even with the wheel liner removal. For the top bolt on the drivers side shock a 19mm ratchet wrench is worth its weight in gold. If you remove both sway bar linkages you can replace the coils without using coil compressors, much safe!

I will finish the rear suspension tomorrow night and get the new tires installed Thursday or Friday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Before and after. Terrafirma medium duty suspension and Milestar Patagonia M/T 265/75R16 tires. Removed the mud flaps and lower lip on front bumper. No rubbing!

Please note the lean towards the rear of the truck is exaggerated because the old tires are in the boot and the driveway at my office is slated to allow rain to run off into the Sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Like the p38 but what kind of mini rack is on top. I drive through parking structures but that one might be ok,
Thx

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Hit the trails today with the family and brought out the heavy fire power. Big improvement in ride quality, off-road traction since I completed the lift and had the M/T tires installed.

It’s been an alarming amount of mileage since my last breakdown so I’m sure I’m in for a big one...

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Careful guns and talk about gun storage will get your post deleted. Pictures are ok though...
new tires do make a world of difference in grip and drive ability. I’m suprized to see the old springs we’re so compressed. How many miles were on the old set? This is an awesome thread to see the progress. Thanks for sharing.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
17 Participants
Doctor Leo
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing