RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hmmmmm.....I shall avoid Floridian powder coaters then.
I have been having large and small metal parts on various boats polyester powder coated for 40 years, and have to say it will outlast a good 2 part polyurethane by about 3 times.
What has me puzzled however, is the fact that all of the factory brush guards I have ever seen are covered in a semi hard foam material. I know there is a steel frame beneath, but it will look nothing like the moulded covering once sandblasted off. maybe it looks ok "naked"?
I was actually considering having a thin coat of flexible bed liner material sprayed on to one of mine that is looking a bit tired.
I also note that the oldest guard I have which is off a 96 still looks good, while the one on the 02 has degraded significantly. They went with a much cheaper covering material sometime in the production run. Cheapskates!
The factory ones do have that foam padding and are more square than round. Mine is aftermarket from what I can tell and round. I’m going to get a quote to powder coat it next week but I’m thinking if I put it back on I will shoot it with an oil based enamel paint.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and front wipers today. Used an inexpensive wiper set till my new windshield is in and then I will use a nice quality blade wiper I just don’t won’t to wear a set of blade wipers out while I’m waiting on the new windshield. Air filter was as bad as I suspected it would be, it was an OEM LR filter which gives me some hope that the dealership has at some point serviced it. The oil filter was a cheapo Bosch one so got it swapped out with a good quality Wix filter, same with the air filter. I went with a 10w-40 (best for our temperature range) Mobile One High Milage Full Synthetic oil to help clean out the engine from God only knows what crap has been put through it over the years! I will change again in just a thousand miles, then run the next fill a full three thousand miles interval with an oil analysis at the end to see how the Mobile One is preforming with my engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Took the P38 for its first trail ride today. Muffle is rattling bad so I have to see what I broke now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The muffler fell off today, like literally fell off so needless to say the exhaust system was badly rusted. I had a new cat back exhaust put on and eliminated the rear resisnator. No rattles from under the truck anymore or the embarrassment of a muffler falling off in your work parking lot.

·
Registered
578 Posts
You’re the kind of person that I hope will buy my 02 P38 when I sell it, which will be soon as I just upgraded.
Found a 2008 with only 34k miles on it. Herb Simon of Simon Malls and owner of the Indy Pacers basketball team traded it in. More than I was looking to pay but still a steal. Best of all the dealer gave me a 3 year/36k mile warranty with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You’re the kind of person that I hope will buy my 02 P38 when I sell it, which will be soon as I just upgraded.
Found a 2008 with only 34k miles on it. Herb Simon of Simon Malls and owner of the Indy Pacers basketball team traded it in. More than I was looking to pay but still a steal. Best of all the dealer gave me a 3 year/36k mile warranty with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that! I enjoy fixing up and maintaining my P38 but my next vehicle purchase when my next round of stock option benefit from work come available to sell I’m going to buy a nice 07-09 MKIII for a daily driver.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally found a little time to work on my overheat issue. I ordered a new water pump and thermostat but before I installed them I want to check the spark plugs for coolant in the cylinders. Luckily all were carboned up, they were pretty worn down so I’m glad I replaced them regardless. Have the old water pump off and it looks pretty new so I don’t think it was my issue. Thermostat was original so it’s more than likely my issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did a little trail ridding at Eglin Reserve today. Truck ran good other than my blend doors are completely inopt now. Will replace the blend doors and heater core in the coming weeks as winter approaches here. Also seriously considering doing a 2in loft before I have it painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have the old water pump off and it looks pretty new so I don’t think it was my issue. Thermostat was original so it’s more than likely my issue.
You may need to replace your radiator. The core will likely be all clogged up with crud that is lessening the efficiency.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Have the old water pump off and it looks pretty new so I don’t think it was my issue. Thermostat was original so it’s more than likely my issue.
You may need to replace your radiator. The core will likely be all clogged up with crud that is lessening the efficiency.
It has a new radiator. Issue was a faulty thermostat.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Today’s off-road adventure ended badly, I have a run ability issue that left us stranded about 14 miles in the woods away from the nearest paved road. Luckily had a coworker out ridding by us who towed us back to payment and then had a flatbed come get the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Have you decided how to restore the bush guard. If not I was very happy with a product I found that turned one that was completely gray from a salvage yard to looking factory fresh.

The company is Detail King and it it is the Trim Kote black. It also is great on the door handles and the back trim pieces that wrap around each side of the black glass.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have you decided how to restore the bush guard. If not I was very happy with a product I found that turned one that was completely gray from a salvage yard to looking factory fresh.

The company is Detail King and it it is the Trim Kote black. It also is great on the door handles and the back trim pieces that wrap around each side of the black glass.
I am going to install a winch bumper so the brush guard isn’t being restored.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The Rover is finally back from the fuel pump being replaced but not the gas gauge has stopped working. AC compressor sounds like it’s about to come apart so that’s a high priority issue now.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,100 Posts
I am going to install a winch bumper so the brush guard isn’t being restored.
Not one "endorsed" by MileMarker I'm guessing? :lol:
Fellow Floridian joke from many years ago....

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Took the Rover for a little trail ridding today and let little Doctor Leo work on his aim. We are still working on the basics of barrel control, safety usage and cocking then BB gun by himself.

I have ordered a replacement ac compressor for mine that sounds like it is ready to let go anytime. As soon as boat show season cools off I’m going to start ordering the new suspension and winch/Terrafirma winch bumper.

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,671 Posts
I did a little diag tonight since the rain has finally stopped. The done lights are timing out after a while so that’s a none issue. The failed fuse 10 is definitely a false error the fuse in the holder is good (verified with multi-meter) and correct amperage rating. So need to look into this a little more before condemning the BECM.

Did further testing of the door locks. Only the drivers rear door is not responding to the lock and unlock command from the front doors. Is there anyway I can test that the actuator on the rear is receiving a voltage when I cycle the front locks? Is it as simple as testing for a 12v signal voltage? I just want to verify it’s a bad lock actuator before buying a assembly.

Here is a storm damage photo from last night. My drive got wet...
there is a latch testing stickie above.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well the P38 left me stranded again, unfortunately I don’t think it’s fit for my purpose of a trail vehicle so I’m looking at possibly moving into a L322 (07-09) or a LR4 for trail use. I’m going to keep the P38 and just slowly fix it up over time but it won’t see any action off payment again. It will make a great marina/range car.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
A well maintained P38 will walk all over an L322 in capability and reliability. What broke this time?

21 - 40 of 76 Posts
About this Discussion
75 Replies
17 Participants
Doctor Leo
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing