RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a recommendation for a brighter, more capable headlight for a Classic that will fit into the factory assembly? I have been driving this rig at night a fair amount lately and the lights don't really have the illumination that I enjoy with my newer ride. I know I can never match that, but maybe something better than what stock offers.

Thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you are looking for something that fits in the stock assembly, I found some Sylvania Silverstar headlights at the local Advance for about 19.95 a piece I think. Much better than what was in it when I got it. If that fails, Hella 500 driving/fog lamps are about the best/cheapest aux. lights around

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Sylvania Silverstar

Best bang for the buck.

I would add a Optium Yellow Top and have your alternator rebuilt and then you will have for sure the brightest headlights you can get.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never used the Silverstar, right now I'm just running regular sealed beam halogens. My intention was to upgrade to H4 conversions, probably Hella which I have used before. I've never seen a better high beam than the euro spec hellas. I make take a look at the sylvania, especially for the price. Just my 2 cents worth.
Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have been rocking the silver stars for a while, not bad but no match for HIDs. I hardly ever use the high beams on my car and when I do I forget to turn them off(sorry on coming traffic,lol).

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
I use Hella 7" e-code lights, used to have H4 bulbs in them, but have been using bi-xenon H4 HIDs for the last 4 years.
Make sure you get an H4 bi-xenon bulb that can be separated at the base. These just twist off and allow fast replacement of the bulb.

Example of a good 2 piece hi-low bulb, I have this on my Rover and '85 Jetta.

This one is 1 piece bulb, it takes a lot of force to fit the Hella rubber cover over the large base.
It is also harder to install the bulb into the lamp due to the rubber cover interfering (see Hella pic below).
It can be done as I'm speaking from experience, I've got this aluminum set on my '91 Jetta.
It is actually brighter than the 2 piece above even thou the are both 6000K and the ballasts are both 35W.

If you don't want to use an HID kit for what ever reason, I would recommend an H4 headlamp relay kit. Sure the Rover has relays, but they are found at the dashboard.
An H4 headlamp relay kit gets power from the battery with large gauge wiring.
All the wiring is large gauge to handle upto 130w bulbs if you so desire. But you'll see a dramatic improvement with stock 55/60w H4 bulbs and the relays.
This guy has been making custom wiring for our VW community, very well respected. A2H4 is the kit that might be ideal for the Rover, best to ask what the length is and compare to your Rover.
http://www.eurowires.net/default.html

Hella 7" e-code.
Note the rubber cover has 3 holes, these are for the halogen H4 prongs. You need to cut the rubber in a circle to fit the HID bulbs (not required with halogen bulbs, see Bosch headlamp below).

Bosch 7" e-code.

You can get either Hella or Bosch in DOT spec too, I prefer e-code lighting.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Silverstars :thumb: , much whiter illumination.

If you really want to brighten things up, add a set of hella driving lamps (Black Magic or the like) switched on with your high beams. You'll feel like an aircraft on a runway. The only drawback is when you switch back to low beams you kinda lose everything for a second till your eyes re-adjust... :shock:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats what I did, I had a set of Hella 4000 Rally lights laying around and bolted em up. Those with the Silverstars definitley light up the trail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a great discussion and I appreciate all the options, you have peaked my interest to say the least.

So do the Bosch e-code lights with the H4 bulbs fit directly into the factory housing or does this require modification? Does the factory wiring hook directly up to the H4 bulb? This is much better light than stock?

If I understand correctly, the Bosch e-code light assembly (rubber portion) can be modified to house HID bulbs, but this requires additional wiring including a relay?

I will look into the auxiliary driving lights as well. The Rover has some on it now, mounted on the bumper/push bar, but honestly they suck as well.

I am going to hit the net and start researching costs.

Thanks again.
Dustin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
Dustin, the Bosch rubber doesn't need any modifications at all, only the Hella rubber if you decide to fit H4 HIDs.

The Hella rubber is designed for the Halogen H4 bulb, but over time it may harden and tear so it will wind up being just like the Bosch (hole in the middle).
Nothing really wrong with that, the rubber grips the bulb around the base for a nice tight seal.

Any 7" light will fit as long is it is designed as a direct replacement for an e-code or DOT lamp.

Not my Rover, but same Hella e-codes I have.

Cibie.

Add relays to your existing headlamp wiring and you'll see an improvement.
Use the relays with H4 e-codes and its a major improvement.
H4 bi-xenon hid kits have a relay box for switching between hi and low.

7" LED DOT lights. These cost around $300, plug and play no relay needed, they are low amperage.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but if anyone is interested in upgrading to the Bosch units, I found a smoking deal at Bus Depot, a retailer specializing in the VW aircooled buses.

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

$44.95. For the pair.

Don't know how long this is going to last, but for the price you can't go wrong!

·
Registered
39 Posts
my rover already had lower line clear Rallye brand lights on it. i rewired them into an old style heavy duty dimmer switch. mounted that to left hand side of driver floor board. also used insulated disconnects and dialectic grease on every contact point. i too am running yellow top optima. its worth every penny.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
10 Posts
FYI, the Bus Depot headlights and bulbs are still available, still a good price at $44 for a pair of headlights and $4 for the H4 bulb. But after I ordered a set, I was startled to see a $4 price on sealed beam 7", the size in my RRC. Here's the Rock auto newsletter excerpt...
RockAuto now has Wholesaler Closeout Wagner H6024 (round) and H6054 (rectangular) halogen sealed beam headlamp bulbs for less than $4! RockAuto also has Wholesaler Closeout Wagner TruView halogen headlamp bulb capsules (part numbers 9004TV, 9005TV, and 9006TV) for around $3.50!

These Wagner bulbs are packaged in private label boxes and quantities are limited. Look up your specific vehicle in the RockAuto catalog to see all the headlamps available.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I replaced my headlamps with the Truck-Lite LED units. Love them. Cost me $380, but still half the price of JW Speaker LEDs.

I've used Silverstars in the past and loved them too. I just don't want to change bulbs or wait for warmup anymore ;-)

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
I've used Silverstars for all of my sealed beam replacements and wouldn;t go any other way. The trouble with pricey Cibie, Hella etc is that if you chip or crack a unit you are stuck with purchasing another very pricey replacement. For many folks this also means waiting for shipping time. Silverstars are available at most any parts house, are inexpensive and require no changes to your rig.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm running the BusDepot Bosch in mine. http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118/, coupled with a set of Silverstar ultra H4 bulbs. They are a direct fit no modifications required. They have a much better pattern and light output than sealed beams. They are listed as DOT H4. The DOT never approved an H4 auto head light, so these are actually motorcycle DOT H4 lights. They have a better pattern then the normal 7" DOT lights, but not quite as nice as 7" E-code lights. For $45 you can't beat them though. E-codes have the best pattern, but are significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The installation of the H4's went smoothly - the hard part is removing the grill without removing the bull bar. As you remove the chrome ring, careful with the small screws! I'm glad I did the work over a paved surface....

This was not a magic solution to not having high beams - I need to figure out the wiring / relays for that problem.

I still need to do a beam alignment. I'm guessing that the lamps ride on the two long screws, and that I'm missing a compressible support that will rides over the screw shaft. If there is an drawing of the headlamp adjusting feature, send it my way! Right now, I'm off to watch TV and flip through the shop manuals. Cheers, PK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts