RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people might say this is stupid and other might say its unnecessary...well it really is, but I was thinking about painting my calipers red so they'd stand out behind those nice hurricane alloys and match the color of my car but then as I looked into it its just so much work and eventually it will just chip off.

So I just happened to find out they people make caliper covers, they glue on top of the caliper using high temp silicone glue hmmm

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34792
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/s ... ull%20view
For about $14 a pair I think I might just order some

·
Registered
966 Posts
Wow.

Well, I don't know how much clearance we have between our calipers and wheels, so these may protrude a little too much.

If you want to paint your calipers, I recommend the G2 caliper paint http://www.g2usa.com/. Its epoxy based, and I used it to paint my calipers red on my Audi. Looks professional.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have 18 inch rims on my p38 and there is enough room on the rear calipers but not the front but that depends on what rims you have, i fixed the rear ones on with cable ties

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Hey man... if you want to waste $15 you can go find a stripper to punch you in the face.

I'm disappointed in you garret.... :doh:

Just kidding. (not really) but if it will make you happy then go for it. We have 4 pot calipers to begin with, so I guess it's not really THAT much of a stretch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kmagnuss said:
Hey man... if you want to waste $15 you can go find a stripper to punch you in the face.

I'm disappointed in you garret.... :doh:

Just kidding. (not really) but if it will make you happy then go for it. We have 4 pot calipers to begin with, so I guess it's not really THAT much of a stretch.
haha thanks Kmagnuss...now I'm starting to get a little embarrassed :oops:
I'm just thinking it probably won't fit on the front calipers anyways because as far as I can remember they are pretty close to the back rim

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
To throw in my thoughts, I think they look rubbish. Why not paint the calipers if you want them to look good instead of sticking on some cheap plastic shroud that'll go out of shape when they get hot :think:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cornishman said:
To throw in my thoughts, I think they look rubbish. Why not paint the calipers if you want them to look good instead of sticking on some cheap plastic shroud that'll go out of shape when they get hot :think:
Not only do you not have performance brakes, but those are just plastic, and will probably melt under normal driving conditions, doing who knows what to your pads and rotors with melted plastic all over them.

Just paint them, there's no shame in that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MrKaira said:
Cornishman said:
Not only do you not have performance brakes, but those are just plastic, and will probably melt under normal driving conditions, doing who knows what to your pads and rotors with melted plastic all over them.

Just paint them, there's no shame in that.
There are many types of polymers that are resistant to heat, just saying.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Painting them can be tedious but if done correctly the paint will hold up just fine. I've used G2 and Duplicolor in the past.

These look like they might be a place for dust to accumulate between the cover and the caliper.

And, do you have a state inspection where you live? Think they would give you problems?

I wouldn't do it, but it's your car and you look at it everyday, so......

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I painted mine black with duplicolor engine enamel 4 years ago. It still looks fine. IMO, I'd never want to bring attention to stock regular old steel brakes by painting them red or yellow... I just didnt' want mine to look like rust.

Now...if you really did have some nice brembos on there, that's a different story. I actually considered painting the brembos on my other car black, to match the car...instead of the grey that they are now. But I just don't feel like messing with it right now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If the stopped brake dust from getting all up in my rims, I would consider it. A metal bolt on version however.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
44 Posts
Hey Garrett,
I ordered myself a set of 4 from ebay, installed them and have had them on for over two weeks. They look great! If you get them they will definitely fit with room to spare, you just have to trim some of the edges from the back side. After that its quite simple and straight forward. I Used 100 % silicone adhesive to attache them which is rated at 400 degrees. I don't know exactly how hot our trucks calipers get but I made sure I put them to the test before posting this and after long periods of heavy braking I would touch them to see if they were hot (just barely got warm), the rotors were hot enough to burn you though, and I would move them back and forth to see if the silicone was softening or melting (didn't even budge) I'm pretty confident that they are not going anywhere and will stay firm where they are. I think if the plastic was going to melt or the silicone was going to give it would have done so already. The wife has the truck but I will post some pics later on in the evening so you can see how they turned out. Also I have drilled and slotted rotors which I think makes them look even better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts