RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Should you "break in" your car for the first 500 or 1000 miles?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am getting various takes on this and want to get your opinion. Should you "take it easy" or "break in" your new car, also why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the first 500 miles

It says in the manual that you should take it easy the first 500 miles. By taking it easy they mean not to brake too hard and accelarate too fast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes break in it, but after you do, then drive over a distance, let the engine warm up, and run it hot with varying high revs so that it bores in properly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't forget these engine have been bench tested also, but they should be run in carefully, it pays massive dividends as the car gets older in terms of better MPG, smoother performance, higher reliability and drinking less oil. By running in the brakes you will prevent discs overheating and then warping, which will cause steering shake and vibration.

I'll be taking mine very steady for the first 1000 miles as I intend to have it for at least three years and don't want to do anything that might cause a hiccup later in it's life. Plenty of time later for hooning around. I doubt I will be pushing the Supercharged engine properly till I hit 1,500 miles.

It cannot be overstated that this is the MOST important time in your car's life to treat it with respect and take it easy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Consistency is key

During the break-in period, limiting the RPMs and keeping the engine at consistent load and top-end speed is key for the break in of rockers/cam/Rings.

After the recommended break-in period - you can slowly increase the peak RPMs by 500-1000 for the next 500 or so miles. Should avoid RED-LINE until ~5K.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What happens

It is sometimes unavoidable to red-line the engine... Like anything - excessive RPMs before you break it in does not allow the engine wear-components to seat as nicely.

Piston Rings / Bearings / Cam Shaft all have metal-to-metal contact with thin layer of oil. There are gaps due to slight imprerfections in the manufacturing process of these components, and they haven't fully seated into one another. Like brake pads seating into rotors.

You can have excessive cylindar scoring, which leads to engine oil burn and poor performance in later years of the engine's life.

This is really only a problem if you decide constantly RAG-OUT the engine before it has had proper time to break-in. An occasional red-line won't cause this level of harm. Slowly step it up as you approach 2K, 3K, 5K miles.

·
Registered
787 Posts
3-5 min and then drive slow until the heat guage start to raise a little. In the real cold 25 and below If i am at work 15 min so the seats and the inside are warm.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I wait until the rpm gets to zero and then go, I really don't know if that is the right thing to do but I figured that's better then nothing.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Me too, I usually wait a few seconds until the RPMs settle down before engaging a gear and moving... The car is sometimes a bit jerky for the first minute or so (I need to drive uphill as soon as I leave my house in the morning), but I figured that's normal for a cold engine. Than again, here in SoCal we don't get much cold weather.

·
Registered
480 Posts
ok thx guys--

on the bmw they said there was no need to warm up but drive under 4k rpms--

but i noticed the rrs idles a bit rougher at start so i guess ill do that

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Not sure if it is because of the supercharger but mine takes about 1-3 min before the rpm gets to zero. I noticed Umbertob said it takes him a few seconds, what is it like with the people that have the supercharged?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The S/C is a race tuned engine. It does not need any break in period. Drive it like you stole it, seriously.

PS: the warranty is 4 yrs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts