RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Forum Members / P38 Owners,

I am faced with having to replace the Break Accumulator Wabco STC2784 on my 1996 P3b GEMs 4.0 again.

Because the part is so darn expensive (BA list $250) I did some internet research
I found a post about the Wabco accumulator STC2784 on Chrysler TC by Masserati Forum.
It indicated that there might be come compatible alternative to this product.

"Good news is the Wabco accumulator STC2784 can be bought for $78 on line as a BMW part and it may be a direct fit"
BMW Brake Accumulator - Febi 01817
Ref: http://forums.aaca.org/f144/brake-accumulators-they-all-same-1991-a-381271.html

At $80 this is 1/3 of the price of the Range Rover Wabco STC2784
Part links:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/32383/Brake-Accumulator-34331162054/
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/900/index.html?bID=444834
http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/317145/febibilstein-01817.html#interchange

Has anyone else looked at the Brand:FEBI BILSTEIN Part Number:01817 as a direct fit alternative for the P38 RR?

Many thanks in advance,
ARF

FYI: About 12 months ago I suspected there might be a problem with my break pressure switch.
Again, after much internet research I came across a possible alternative:
ACDelco 25530882 GM Original Equipment Brake Pressure Warning Switch
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25530882-Pressure-Wiring-Switch/dp/B0010GFRD8/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_tnr_11
At $70-$90 I saved a bunch of $ and have had no problem with it over the past 12 months. Has anyone else used this part as an alternative?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,723 Posts
I am not sure about the FEBI part number referenced but there are existing threads with direct fit Saab part number and GM part number that requires a minor change.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you go for one of the inexpensive options and it does work, pass it on. My brake accumulator is in need of replacement.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
But there does appear to be a bit of a query over whether it is the same part or just something similar. I admit that the accumulator isn't a particularly high tech bit of kit and as long as the thread is the same so it will screw on it won't make a lot of difference but rather than spend money on something that might fit, spend a little more on something that will.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Some of us dont mind taking a chance, not only for ourselves but for the benefit of other members too.
Audi heater cores for example. Took a little fiddling at first by myself and another member overseas, but it has since worked flawlessly. I still have under half of what one would have cost OVER HERE in my setup. It works, period.
Hopefully those folks will be around for a long time, to help those of us that dont mind changing stuff around, save money.
If a part fits, and is cheaper, I personally dont see the problem. Not all of us live where parts are readily available the same day or the day after, for a reasonable price.
The price you see on a UK website is NOT the price we pay by the time it gets to the States. Not to mention a rig being down for over week while it gets here....

Martin

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
Would be Interested to see If this is compatible as checking the prices here incl the $49.99 postage it would still be half the price of a new WABCO one here on e bay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I need to order 2 accumulators and if this Febi part is a direct swap it would be nice to get 2 of them for the price of 1 wabco. I've just spent the last 2 hours searching for the direct fit SAAB part and all I can come up with is a $300 one. Has anyone actually tried the Febi part and can confirm if it works or not, or found a better price on the SAAB part and can point me in the right direction? Help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
609 Posts
For those still interested; $151US shipped to the US from lrdirect.com.
No cross referencing or modifications needed.
And it was here in a week.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
" Has anyone else looked at the Brand:FEBI BILSTEIN Part Number:01817 as a direct fit alternative for the P38 RR?"

This part DOES NOT FIT!!! Proper thread pitch but the diameter is too big, so unless you've got a lathe and can turn an adaptor, you're SOL.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone tried ringing WABCO for the WABCO part number? I rang them a while back about something else and they were very helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2grx7 is right. Febi won`t fit straight on, however it can be screwed into housing using handmade fitting but still febi`s accu has a slightly different specs which is enough to cause rupture of the diaphragm. In my experience febi was fully "dead" after a week of driving.
Regards!
p.s. enclosing fitting specs
adapter m18-m14.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Febi replacement also explodes just few days after installation - it seems that breake fluid pressures in p38 are more highter and Febi design can't handle it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts