RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Just became the proud owner of a 1998 4.6 HSE. I’m just im going to have some problems with this beast but using it as a station car ~ 2 miles each way 5 days a week. Will be looking to fix her up a bit. Looking forward to participating in the forums!

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
At only two miles each way with hours of down time in between, you are never going to get up to operating temp. You will have no heat, no A/C. Driving that short of time you will always be running rich. Things will go down hill from there.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Totally agree, take the scenic route and do at least 20 miles each way. No car likes to be used solely for short journeys, you can feel them getting smoother and smoother after the first 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
Where are you and what did you pay for it? Any gremlins? Air or springs?
My car spends a lot of time travelling the 1.5 km from my home to our office and doing other short trips, and the fuel consumption is horrendous (23-24 l/100 ks), as it is mostly running with the (virtual) choke out. On the expressway it gets down to a merely dreadful 15-16 l/100 ks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im in NY, paid $2k for the car. Coil overs. AC Blows cold. I say most days will be short trips but I will certainly need to use it a bit more that just a few miles each way. Thanks for the insight guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
And another thing to look out for with that driving pattern is that it's short enough that your exhaust doesn't get up to temperature and the water vapor in the exhaust gases can condense and rust out an exhaust system surprisingly quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts