RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and a happy new year

I have an intermittent problem whereby sometimes when I brake it feels like the pedal sticks, and then when I push through the sticky bit with a bit of extra travel the brakes work fine and the pedal hardens up. Also I have recently started getting an ABS fault display which I have yet to investigate but seems to be related to loss of boost in the system. I have done a bit of research on this site and have the following questions.

There is supposed to be a catastrophic failure mechanism in the braking system whereby a plastic part runs up the white flag and hey presto no brakes. I understand there is a chap who sells a replacement stainess part for this. Are the symptoms I describe a likely precursor to this failure? Does the replacement part work?

What are the symptoms of an accumulator on the way out? I had a quick check yesterday, and found I got three brake uses before the pump cut in which seemed reasonable, however I have not checked how long it holds pressure for.

cheers

John
98 4.6 HSE

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just replaced my accumulator last month. The brakes were feeling a bit different but I noticed if you start it and shift the truck would roll. It should not move .
If it takes like 15 or 20 seconds to pump up the accumulator is bad. After replacing brakes feel like new again, and at first start no need to pump up and no moving.
Good Luck

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Russell's web site is http://www.rangeroversolutions.com/
On that page is an address and phone numbers. As you're in Aus, why not try to get in touch through snail mail or phone?
Last email comms I had with him about buying a BMR kit was Jan 2016

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the kit from Russell end of 2017 but haven't had time to fit it yet.
His e-mail is [email protected].
Brilliant description of "how to" on a memory stick with the seals and s/steel disks.
Mines had a new accumulator and brake bleed but I still get fading brakes on steep hill descents.
Had the "clicking" feel in the pedal so going with the upgrade, fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts