Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My brakes are squeaking and I'm suspicious they need replacement. I have 43k miles, am second owner, put 15k on it myself and am aware the brakes were not replaced by the dealer when they sold it. My questions are: can I tell when my next service is due somehow to see if I can hold off a bit? Is there a car warning/ notification when brakes need replacement? Any risk to waiting? And any idea how expensive they will be? Thanks!

· Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
The brakes should have a sensor, which is quite generous, you can get 5K after it comes on.
Check to see if you have the sensor installed.
atleast i know its true for 2006.

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,401 Posts
The brakes should have a sensor, which is quite generous, you can get 5K after it comes on.
Check to see if you have the sensor installed.
Don't follow that advice. You can have pads go to metal and never trigger the sensor.

If your at 15k you may be coming due for pads depending on your driving style.

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,045 Posts
If your 15K service is due real soon, part of the service routine involves inspecting your brake pads and discs to see how much useful life (if any) you've got left in them. If you need new brake pads - and discs - your SA will call you with his/her recommendation shortly after you drop your car off. Be aware: LR dealers normally love replacing pads and discs every chance they've got because they make ridiculous margins on those jobs, but since you are a new owner and have no knowledge of the last time the brakes were serviced prior to you buying the vehicle, you should probably bite the bullet and go with their recommendation, at least for this time. There are many reasons why brakes could squeal - especially in these cars - and they are not always related to wear. You could also visit an indy Land Rover / brake shop and get their opinion: you are in L.A. and there are plenty of reputable shops around here. In our lovely, everlasting stop-n-go traffic conditions and such a heavy vehicle, it is not unheard of brakes lasting as little as 15-20K miles, so be prepared for bad news... ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.