RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is new, my brakes (all 4 but the front is worse than the back) will start to rub/squeak after 30 mins on the highway, and heat up to the point where they are grabbing/smoking after 60 mins.

If I pull over and let them cool, all goes back to normal and then I repeat the cycle.
The brakes were redone last year, and have been fine until now.
Master cylinder looks ok, but I’m not sure if it has a great seal on the filler cap. No sign of the fluid boiling or expanding or anything.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the 88 was a change over year it uses a lockeed or girling brake system, one uses a huge brake booster the other a thin unit, can't remember which is what but the master cylinder and the push rod length is one of the issues which arise, as the vacuum rises in the chamber the brakes apply and the difference in spacing is 1000's of mm.
also at 30 yrs of age it is worth checking your calipers are not hanging applied due to rust.
rave has lots of info on these changes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks. The calipers pads and disks are new.

I found that if I frequently (every couple of miles) pump the brakes they don’t build up pressure. So it sounds like the master cylinder.

Oh well, that should be a fairly easy fix. Is there a recommended upgrade?

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Awesome thanks. The calipers pads and disks are new.

I found that if I frequently (every couple of miles) pump the brakes they don’t build up pressure. So it sounds like the master cylinder.

Oh well, that should be a fairly easy fix. Is there a recommended upgrade?

Cheers

Ray

new hoses, other wise not that I am aware of master cylinder upgrades.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
new hoses, other wise not that I am aware of master cylinder upgrades.
So, I see from an online diagram that my brake booster (changed last year) has a vacuum on both sides of the diaphragm. So I am guessing that a hose leak on either side will cause the diaphragm to move. Therefore it appears that the issue would be a hose leak rather than a diaphragm or Master Cylinder issue, is that correct?

I think that corresponds with what you said above, but just wanted to confirm. (?)

Are these strange proprietary RR hoses (like my A/C hoses!) or is it just standard hose available by the foot at Lordco?

Thanks!

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts