RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 p38 I just got. I shudder at brake issues mainly due to some of the costs I see with everything.

Here is the problem I'm having. When the rover is started first thing in the morning I get hardly any brakes first starting out. The pedal will go to the floor if I press hard enough and I have hardly any brakes. It doesn't matter if I warm it up 10 minutes or just go and it's only first thing after it has sat overnight.

After the first couple times I pump the brakes, they are at full pressure and work great the rest of the time all day long.

I can hear the "pump" come on pretty after 1 or 2 presses of the brake pedal. It comes on for about 3 seconds and then turns off. I press the brakes again 1 or 2 times, it comes on for 3 seconds, then turns off. I have full fluids and it doesn't appear to be leaking any brake fluid. No warning lights on the dash.

So, any ideas on this? I was reading about the accumlator....and that doesn't seem to be the reason this would happen...or is it?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Probably a bad accumulator or pressure switch. Have you checked your brake fluid level?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fluid levels are fine. When I open the cap to the brake fluid, the fluid is sitting right at the bottom of the neck. It is probably too full....

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Change your accumulator before you have to change the pump too. If you shudder at the expense of brake parts...you don't want to see what a new pump costs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you check the fluid level while the engine is running? I had a guy at a local garage tell me mine was too full, lucky I had read the hand book so I could put him right. :dance:
That said, I would go for a new accumulator too.

SID.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another wierd question. Everytime I step and release the break pedal. I head a "click" coming from directly under the gear shifter? One click everytime the break pedal is depressed and then released.

Any ideas why i would get a click from under the gear shift?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
g00dspeed said:
another wierd question. Everytime I step and release the break pedal. I head a "click" coming from directly under the gear shifter? One click everytime the break pedal is depressed and then released.

Any ideas why i would get a click from under the gear shift?
Only when in PARK eh? It's the gearbox selection inhibitor. It's so you can't take the gearbox out of PARK unless you have your foot on the brakes, otherwise you would go shooting forward/backwards uncontrollably, when you put it in gear. Unllike in a manual, where you still need to control the clutch, before you start getting drive.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
g00dspeed said:
Here is the problem I'm having. When the rover is started first thing in the morning I get hardly any brakes first starting out. The pedal will go to the floor if I press hard enough and I have hardly any brakes. It doesn't matter if I warm it up 10 minutes or just go and it's only first thing after it has sat overnight. After the first couple times I pump the brakes, they are at full pressure and work great the rest of the time all day long.
Hi g00dspeed,
I have exactly the problem you described here. Did the new accumulator fix the problem? (funnily enough mine too is a 98 HSE)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
callum76 said:
Hi g00dspeed,
I have exactly the problem you described here. Did the new accumulator fix the problem? (funnily enough mine too is a 98 HSE)
It shows he has not been on the board since 2009.....Another one that only posts when he has a problem for others to figure out. :think:
I would say it fixed it for him or we would have heard by now mate.
Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms are year or so ago and got a new accumulator to sort it out.

Martin

·
Registered
12 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
It shows he has not been on the board since 2009.....Another one that only posts when he has a problem for others to figure out. :think:
I would say it fixed it for him or we would have heard by now mate. Mine was exhibiting the same symptoms are year or so ago and got a new accumulator to sort it out.Martin
Yep, he could have at a minimum reported back! I emailed the guy as well so will update this thread if I get a reply. In any case I've ordered an accumulator for starters. I also bought the falconworks abs pdf, quite good reading although didn't answer this particular problem. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am having this same issue, as well. In the morning, the brake pedal goes all the way down. You have to pump it a few times to build up pressure. Once you do, you're fine for the day.

I do notice a pump coming on rather frequently. However, I thought this was the air compressor for the EAS.

Another symptom is that my dashboard brake light comes on from time to time while driving. It stays on for a minute usually, then extinguishes. I also get a Low Brake Fluid message. I continually check brake fluid level and see no shortage.

I am going to try this accumulator and see how it works. I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just fitted my new accumulator. It was easy and all seems well.

I ordered the following accumulator:

http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms/dd/ee/1947/ACCUMULATOR

The site was somewhat confusing in that it appeared as though they were going to let me review my order with shipping charges. The e-commerce site didn't let me confirm, but they did end up having a process that allowed me to confirm. They sent me an email with the shipping charges and gave me an opportunity to decline the order. The total cost including international shipping was $222. This was $60 cheaper than I found anywhere else for a new one. I'll use this company again if they have the deal.

Onto the work. I used the RAVE procedure augmented with the rangerovers.net write-up:

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/braketc/accumulator.html

The whole operation took me less than an hour including research and prep. I didn't need any tools. I had to remove the top of the air filter housing and loosen the air intake. I was then able to get in position to twist the thing off with two hands. I put the new one back on and gave it a test drive which was uneventful. I'll post again if something bad happens.

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Follow-Up - The last step in replacing the accumulator should be bleeding the brake system. The old accumulator likely injected nitrogen into the system which could mess up the balance of the hydraulics. It makes it so there is more volume of fluid in the system but also more compression. However, I skipped this step because I will soon be replacing my brake pads and rebuilding the calipers. I'm going to bleed the system when I do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New accumulator is in, brakes are bled, resevoir cleaned (as much as possible), problem pretty much solved.

The brake resevoir was seriously gunked up inside, i called my local rangie guy (Top Of Range) and he claimed to have never sold a replacement resevoir so I pulled it out and spent about an hour or 2 attempting to clean it with fuel-lite, brake cleaner, turps, and an air compressor. Before I cleaned it out fluid barely dripped out, afterwards it was trickling out so some improvment.

First thing in the morning I still get a slightly spongy pedal (to about 1/2 way) for the first press if I stomp on it as soon as I've started the car, but after that the brakes are all good. Pedal feels good, abs and tc lights are behaving normally and the brakes work in reverse now too . Its been suggested I probably have a leaking return valve and this might well be true but I'll never find out because i'm going to sell this worthless p.o.s. if anyone will buy it! (this comes from someone who genuinly loves landrovers). At least its road worthy now!

I've never had so many problems with a car and they're not even all fixed, I still have steering play and the aircon works randomly!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts