RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pads had worn down and were grinding on the rotors and somehow the brake sensor never went off.
The dealer claims that the pads weared down unevenly and the outside pad is completely ground down while the inside pad that has the sensor on it has still not triggered the sensor.

I'm no expert here, but is this plausible? If it is, I can't believe the caliper can be this far off unless it was setup incorrectly.

I think the LR service contract should cover this since the sensor did not go off . . . . at a minimum cover the damaged rotors. What do you guys think?

This is an '08 supercharged

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had this happen on a rotor before. There was some binding in the caliper and one pad wore to the backing plate while the other was fine.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Yeah good luck w/ that.
Same thing happened to me, and I argued why did I need brake replacements when the sensor didn't go off, and he gave a similar response to the previous poster. Uneven wear, blah, blah, blah.
When I argued to the ineffectiveness of the wear sensor, I was reminded of the fine print of the LR contract, which states they do not cover wear & tear issues related to brakes, etc. Not sure how'd you'd argue, your wear & tear sensor needs to be covered, despite the exclusion of wear & tear items. :think:

However, when I changed mine, I figured the sensors were still good, but one disintegrated in my hand during the brake change, and the other fell apart a wk later. SO they'll go soon enough, it's just probably not worth pushing it to that limit. Think of them as your fuel reserve tank light, but when they come on you have like 1/2 a gallon left (if that). I think that's why most astute drivers don't wait for them to go (I've now come to realize).

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
There is one sensor on the rear of the car and one sensor on the front of the car. There are 4 brake pads rear and 4 pads front so thats 8 pads covered by 2 sensors.

The pad wear sensor cuts in during the last 2-3mm of pad material. Therefore over the lifetime of the pads it is completely plausable for one of the other 3 pads to have worn and be touching the disc. The grinding is usually just the outer of the pad hitting a lip in the disc so initially grinding doesnt = no brakes. So you should have plenty of time to change them (100-200 miles).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the responses.

I've had 3 mk3 and have never had this happen before, but it sounds like it is indeed plausible.
However, I'm still a little surprised by this and think the positioning of the caliper must be slighly off for this to occurr. Clearly the brake system was not designed for this to happen.

I will probably write a letter anyways, the worst they can say is no.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
njwlog said:
Thx for the responses.

I've had 3 mk3 and have never had this happen before, but it sounds like it is indeed plausible.
However, I'm still a little surprised by this and think the positioning of the caliper must be slighly off for this to occurr. Clearly the brake system was not designed for this to happen.

I will probably write a letter anyways, the worst they can say is no.
meaning the sensors went off prior to ur changing ur pads?
Were the others all sc?

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been conditioned to not replace the brakes until the sensor goes off given experiences in the past were the dealer service adviser "advises" to replace the brakes, when I have been able to get another 5k-10K of miles before the sensor goes off.

The other 2 were not SC. This is the second set of rear brakes on this vehicle. The first set was replaced after the sensor went off.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
That's good to know.
They convinced me that by the time the sensor went off I was already in jeopardy.
But then they were also quoting me close to $2k for an "emergent" change, flush, alignment, and rotation job. All done by me for ~$500.

But I still maintain, and you've added to my point, there may be a slight delay between "rubbed down to the bone" and when sensor goes off. As they may be tinkering on faulting by just millimeters.

It's amazing how the Brembo's really hold their own. The previous owner had changed the rears only prior to me, stating the fronts still had bite (of course until I bought it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts