RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had squeaking brakes for a a few hundred miles. It started when the brakes were cold, then they were fine after getting warmed up. Then it progressed, and they started to squeak all the time. I brought the car to my dealer (who I purchased the car from as well) for a fix, and was told there's a TSB for squeaking brakes, but because my brakes were worn below some certain threshold, the TSB wouldn't be utilized, and I'd have to come out of pocket fully for the brakes.

Now I'm all for maintaining my cars, but to tell me, "You almost had free brakes, but since yours were a little more worn and kind of needed replacing anyways, we can't cover them under the TSB - that'll be $1200."

Am I off base to think that if there's a TSB out there, it shouldn't matter what the wear level of the pads were, they should be covered under the TSB?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the brake problem also they changed them twice finally they told me they were remaking the brake pads and when the updated model were released they would call. Took about a month but the new version brake pads came in and no squeak ever since no charge either

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What mileage where you at on the vehicle when you first had the pads changed under the service bulletin?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
2015 RR ATB - mine were done under warranty/TSB at 300 miles and then again at 5000 miles. Supposedly got the new & improved pads the second time around. I'm at 14000 miles and they have been squeak free ( crossing fingers/toes and knocking on wood :-D ). I didn't even buy the RR from this dealer, but they are pretty good at trying to take care of any issues that come up.

05LSV, as far as I know everyone here with squeaky brakes has had the brake TSB covered under warranty. Have your dealer read this thread and let the forum know who they are, so members can try to avoid buying from a dealer that treats customers this way.

Worst case they could have offered to split the costs with you. Makes you wonder if they put it through for reimbursement from LR, but charged you as well ...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
05LSV, what mileage are you at now? Nice looking truck by the way.

My brakes squeal only when slowing down from low speeds. I was going to be lazy and bring it up at my 1 year maintenance but if there's a specific mileage that I need to go to get it done for free I'll go early. I have ~8300 or so miles now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2015 with 7500 miles and they began squeaking last month after my 1st annual service. I phoned my dealer today and they told me to bring it in as they had new and different pads to replace the current ones. I have had 4 Range Rovers since 2007 and they always had squeaky brakes. Other than this I love my trucks. If this doesn't work, I will look for after market pads and rotors. Maybe akebono?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my 3rd full size RR and all have needed new brakes around 20k miles. My 2 previous trucks had brake noise as well, and one was resolved with replacing the pads, the other pads/rotors.

I'm around 19k miles now, and days after my recent pad replacement and subsequent second visit to service to "deglaze" the rotors (which I've never had to have done), I'm left with horribly squealing brakes, which make noise whether I'm braking or not.

I was told by my dealer that the "new" pads that are out now to correct the TSB aren't doing well, and the service dept is packed with trucks like mine with no idea how to move forward.

Yes, the noise and lack of resolution is upsetting, partially because it's a pain to continue having the truck at the dealer. Mostly though I'm still pissed that I had to pay for the pads on an active TSB and I am still driving around with squealing brakes. On a vehicle of this price range, it's embarrassing.

Can anyone confirm that there is a "wear limit" on the TSB where if you're over a certain amount worn, the TSB doesn't apply? This seems counterintuitive.

My dealer is RR Carlsbad, just north of San Diego.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Maybe a call to LRNA Customer Support to file your complaint and get a case number. Tell them about the TSB, that you were charged and still have squeaky brakes. Once you have a case number the CS person has to work with you to get that case resolved and closed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good idea Ms. Mdx. I'm meeting with the Service Director at LR Carlsbad to discuss later this week. If he's unwilling to hear my concerns, that will be my next move.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just read the full TSB and there's no verbiage anywhere about wear levels and the applicability of the TSB...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2014 SC purchased Oct 2013. When the car was 2 years old (Oct 2015) and with 13.5k miles on it, the front pads were replaced under warranty. 3k miles later, incredible squeaking. Land Rover replacing all four corners' pads for me today, under warranty. Hopefully the last time this happens.

Out of curiosity, does/should the dealer bed the brakes when they do work like this? I asked if they bedded them last go around and was told yes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick update. After my suggestion, last week my dealer installed a set of old (new) pads on the vehicle. Squealing gone.

I've also let it e known that I'd like to be refunded on the original brake replacement since it should have been covered under the TSB.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got mine front 2 pads replaced as well. No squealing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts