RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Please could someone help, I've been trying to track down a servo repair kit, part code AEU1021, its no longer available at the places I've tried.

Would anyone know anywhere that might stock the item or if there's any other part numbers I can use ?

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,710 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks like I am struggling with the same issue.

Changed my brake pads, flushed the system but still hard pedal. My booster/servo AEU1715 is very expensive so I just need to overhaul. Thanks for the parts reference.

What confused me is that there seems to be correct vacuum and some function in my booster but brakes are just very heavy to apply. What are your failure symptoms can I ask?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi All, I was looking for some information and came across my own comments.

To update I have resolved my poor braking issue, which was basically lubrication of the inside pads by wasted hubseals. Easily changed, new pads and a lot of degreasing and now the braking is great.

The servo (AEU1715) however has developed a new issue, which is that when it is cold (currently the case in Houston) there is a hissing sound inside the car when I don't touch the brake pedal. This stops when I brake and the brakes are perferctly fine. It also stops after a few minutes or when the weather is warmer. So I am guess there is some seal that is affected by the cold.

Servo and parts are hard to come by as we know. However possibly I can just clean up and lubricate. Has anybody opened the booster and had a look inside?

·
Registered
16 Posts
JS5D, what year is your Rover? Have you tried Roversnorth in Vermont? They stock plenty of parts for the older models. Haven't had many issues over the years with availability from them for my '85 Classic.

It's brakes! Try not to go cheap! I know some OEM parts are pricey, I'd rather have the confidence in my vehicle's braking system than pinching a few dollars.

Sounds like the diaphragm in the brake booster has failed in yours....good luck. If you do change out the booster, install a new steering shaft while you're at it, it's a PITA to change with the booster installed.

Cheers, Tony in Illinois
'85 Classic
'96 Disco 1

·
Registered
297 Posts
JS5D, what year is your Rover? Have you tried Roversnorth in Vermont? They stock plenty of parts for the older models. Haven't had many issues over the years with availability from them for my '85 Classic.

It's brakes! Try not to go cheap! I know some OEM parts are pricey, I'd rather have the confidence in my vehicle's braking system than pinching a few dollars.

Sounds like the diaphragm in the brake booster has failed in yours....good luck. If you do change out the booster, install a new steering shaft while you're at it, it's a PITA to change with the booster installed.

Cheers, Tony in Illinois
'85 Classic
'96 Disco 1
Thanks Tony,

I agree with what you are saying, don't skimp on brakes and I don't but so far I have not found this servo for sale. Some LR parts providers offer it for $750 (ouch) but so far I have not received a response when I asked if they have it available. Some say it is no longer available. I found some references for the rebuild kit but that seems to be priced higher than a new unit and some websites say it is no longer available.

I have yet to explore used parts, but nothing on Ebay at the moment.

Since (at the moment at least) the hissing sound is only happening when it is cold I dont think it is the diaphragm, but rather a stiff seal and I can hang on for a bit while sourcing a replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts