RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And another question..

The brake pump, when you turn the ignition on, how long should the pump run for till the system is at the right pressure?
And after how many times pushing the brake pedal the pump should start running again?

I installed a new accumulator the other day, and the running time of the pump did decline, but not by much.
Before the pump was running for just over 40 seconds when i turned the ignition on, and started running again after one or two pushes on the brake pedal, and now she runs for almost 30 seconds when I turn the ignition on, and starts running again after 3 pushes on the brake pedal.
I also have the impression that the pump starts running every now and then on the highway, but I'm nor sure about this, can't hear it propperly.

The car brakes very well, and the pedal feels hard, and the ABS and TC works well, but somehow I think it's not like it should be...

Thanks for your advice. :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Pump should run between around 30 and 45 seconds on first start - maybe a bit longer if it's been standing a long time.

3 presses of the pedal is normal for a new accumulator. If the pump is running every press of the pedal, then that's a sign that the accumulator has failed. It sounds like you replaced yours at a good time.

The ABS pump doesn't have a non-return valve in it, so the pressure will 'bleed down' over a period of time - also as modulators get older there are probably slight internal leaks past seals internally - but if the pump is only coming on and running occasionally (mine will come on every 5 or more minutes for a short period to recharge pressure) then it sounds like the system is working as it should and there's nothing wrong.

If the brake fluid hasn't been changed in awhile, then this is worth doing, and a full bleed through (as per workshop manual procedure - this is important!), but from what you're describing the pump etc all sounds like it's working fine.

Other than fluid change/flush/bleed, if it's working, then I'd just leave it as-is

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brake fluid is replaced not too long ago.

Cool, so everything works fine.

Thank you very much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts