RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a 28 page brake thread here , but my "ADD" got the best of me before finding the answer...So here goes... I have the dreaded brake pedal on the floor after sitting over night.
It is fine as soon as I get down the road and fine all day if I am driving around town. But after sitting at work for 10 hours, when I leave work and stop at the parking lot exit its back to the floor,and then its fine by the end of the street.So what is the primary problem ? Is it the brake modulator o rings and plastic cups mentioned in that thread? or is it the ABS Pump? Or something else?? If I can fix this and the sticky throttle the wife might give me back my 300 for daily commute...Trust me i love my rover, but I would rather have her put 5000 miles on the rover per year for the next 10 years while I load up the 300,besides the 300 gets twice the fuel economy...Any help is apreciated
PS: its a 1996 4.0, not my clasic in my pic...

Thanks
Gregg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Break pedal on floor at startup

Stillderanged said:
But after sitting at work for 10 hours, when I leave work and stop at the parking lot exit its back to the floor,and then its fine by the end of the street.
So what is the primary problem ?
Thanks
Gregg

You spend too much time at work.

:lol:

·
Registered
523 Posts

q-rover said:
Stillderanged said:
But after sitting at work for 10 hours, when I leave work and stop at the parking lot exit its back to the floor,and then its fine by the end of the street.
So what is the primary problem ?
Thanks
Gregg

You spend too much time at work.

:lol:

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have this same problem...Last weekend I ran enough brake fluid through all four corners it until it was mostly clear and haven't had the problem since. That said however, it has only been a couple of days since I did this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

You guys kill me... Try and live here in NY, I work at my office from 8 to 6 5 days a week and probably average 2 hours after at clients houses 3 days a week.All to support my family and house, I do my own Home improvements , fix my cars and boats too... Welcome to Life in America ...and the working class

So bleeding the brakes?? Maybe worth paying the servie center to do with a pressure bleeder on the next oil change... Silly how major repairs are worth doing yourself, but a simple oil change is cheaper at the local garage...

Guys thanks for the laughs

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

there is nothing simple regards bleeding brakes on a p38 mate :cry:
i would also suggest the accumulator as i had a similar issue. when first driving after being parked overnight, i would have pretty much zero brakes. this was after i had rebuilt the modulator and bled the brakes etc. i swapped the brake accumulator out (10 minute job) and viola! brakes are as good at start up as they are after driving now.

martin

·
Registered
701 Posts

there is nothing simple regards bleeding brakes on a p38 mate
Amen to that!

Takes at least 2 hours to do. I have done mine twice, first time was incorrect. Second time closer, will be going on number 3 here shortly :D .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

leftlanetruckin said:
there is nothing simple regards bleeding brakes on a p38 mate :cry:
i would also suggest the accumulator as i had a similar issue. when first driving after being parked overnight, i would have pretty much zero brakes. this was after i had rebuilt the modulator and bled the brakes etc. i swapped the brake accumulator out (10 minute job) and viola! brakes are as good at start up as they are after driving now.

martin
The only thing I meant by simple was the engine oil change, I would think the service center with a pressure bleeder would make easier work of the brake bleeding task.Then I would at home with out such a device,So after all is said and doen the accumulator is more likely the problem?? thats kind of an answer I was waiting for...now who has that in stock?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

i got mine from roverguy.com
it was by far the cheapest i found.
i would think even with a pressure bleeder it would be a major PIA. the problem is not pumping the pedal, it is in the order you have to do everything...
read up on it and you will see what i mean, that was the first time i had to follow a **** shop manual for bleeding brakes!!!!

martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just an update for all of you out there, I bought a new accumulator from eric at atlantic british last week and changed it over labor day, it totaly soved the pedal on the floor at cold startup ! My Brake pedal is nice , I had a little clean up of brake fluid so I must warn anyone trying to do this that they should cover it with a towle while unscrewing it. My oil filter strap wrench was just the ticket for removing it btw.Also did the pollen filters, still dont know wether it made a diference in air flow, but the old ones were dirty. Also I fixed my cruise control, just cut an inch of cracked hose off and stuck it back on the tee fitting under the hood.Now to tackle those leaky o rings on the valve block assy. before the cold weather sets in....

·
Registered
966 Posts

leftlanetruckin said:
i got mine from roverguy.com
it was by far the cheapest i found.
i would think even with a pressure bleeder it would be a major PIA. the problem is not pumping the pedal, it is in the order you have to do everything...
read up on it and you will see what i mean, that was the first time i had to follow a **** shop manual for bleeding brakes!!!!

martin

Martin, what did you pay for yours from RoverGuy? (I am avoiding a phone call to him)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

Jsmooth65 said:
Martin, what did you pay for yours from RoverGuy? (I am avoiding a phone call to him)
$245 with 2 day shipping. i needed it before heading back out, so paid some more for 2nd day.

martin

·
Registered
226 Posts
even with the weakening dollar it's still cheaper to buy in the UK and have it shipped, but in this case I guess you couldnt wait

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
ferret said:
even with the weakening dollar it's still cheaper to buy in the UK and have it shipped, but in this case I guess you couldnt wait
by the time you add shipping, and the relatively terrible customer service from island 4x4 to their american customers, i went the route i did with a clear head.
chris got his from over there, and did save a little. but it also took @2weeks to get it IIRC. not good enough for me i am affraid.

martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts