RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... does anyone know if the brake pad wear sensors work via continuity or earthing on the disc? Only reason I ask is my pad wear light came on. I replaced pads and discs but being cheap I stuck the old sensor back in. I thought it earthed through the disc so would be fine. But I'm starting to think it breaks a circuit once it's worn through. Is this correct?

·
Registered
25 Posts
As soon as the sensor sends the warning its too late, you have to get new ones. If you remember which one was 'warn through' you can just replace that one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Thought so.... thanks guys... what a good design. You have to buy a new sensor everytime. Well good for Land rovers pocket anyway. Also why don't you get the sensor with the pads like you do on most other cars?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The sensor wire is no more than a loop. If the continuity is broken or the signal goes to ground then the light will come on. It is possible to effect a temporary repair by re-making the loop, the light on the dash will not extinguish straight way but will require 5-10 warm up cycles of the car to go out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced sensor today. Turned ignition on and off four times to put out light... all is good again.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Locky said:
Yeah Thought so.... thanks guys... what a good design. You have to buy a new sensor everytime. Well good for Land rovers pocket anyway. Also why don't you get the sensor with the pads like you do on most other cars?
There are many after market replacement sensors available; not an expensive part. Any place I've checked that sells the pads also sells the sensor.
Some people replace pads BEFORE they get that thin, so the person just transplants the existing sensor to the new pad.
There is only one at the front and one at the rear.
If you would like to forego having the benefit of the warning circuit altogether, you could surely just take the old, open one, cut the wires back & short them together, secure the terminated line up near the connection box in the wheel well, and not be bothered by the warning light again.
Then you'd just have to check your brakes for wear yourself, just like with most vehicles.
Just make sure you either replace it prior to selling it, or let the buyer know about it.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
As long as the sensor is not completely buggered you could clean it up and stick a small blob of solder across the break. This would then still wear off when the pads get low.

Dan

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Some may say that trying to save money on brake related issues is not good policy.....

Failure to warn of significant pad wear = reduced braking = high speed accident = possible loss of life

Just replace the pads AND sensors. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
Some may say that trying to save money on brake related issues is not good policy.....

Failure to warn of significant pad wear = reduced braking = high speed accident = possible loss of life

Just replace the pads AND sensors. :thumb:
But this is not something that happens quickly. It comes down to owner competence - if you drive for 1000 miles with squealing brakes because you've got metal on metal then one less moron in the world is no bad thing. As there is only one sensor per axle set you could still wear the other side out first if you have a brake imbalance at all - it's rare that all 4 pads are worn equally (DSC and ETC have an effect on this)

Interestingly the Classic had pad warning sensors from 85 onwards, as well as a coolant level sensor. Both were dropped for the P38. I'm glad to see they are back on the L322. I like idiot lights.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I usually would replace them before a sensor picks it up. In this case though it was the ridge on the discs that set it off. The pads still had about 7mm of material on. My Discs were at 24.8mm though :shock: considering 28.8 is considered minimum.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Locky said:
Yeah I usually would replace them before a sensor picks it up. In this case though it was the ridge on the discs that set it off. The pads still had about 7mm of material on. My Discs were at 24.8mm though :shock: considering 28.8 is considered minimum.
Good catch then! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Ok, I'm trying to give my LR guy the benefit of the doubt (x2), but how can your brakes wear down so drastically as was told to me (again x2), but not trigger the wear sensor???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts