RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

A buddy of mine was helping me install brake pads and the outside pad (not the piston side) somehow got put on backwards. The metal backing plate was being pressed against the rotor... I drove about a mile before I pulled over to check things out, but in this mile I did three 60 - 0 stops to help set the brakes, but instead it was just destroying them. The rotor is grooved to all hell, I doubt it can be ground down and saved...

As for the pads, the metal backing plate was smashed and flattened out like a pancake. I'm trying to figure out if the pad definitely needs to be replaced. The side that should be against the rotor looks perfectly fine, I'm just concerned with the backing plate. I'm sure without a picture no one can make any good guesses on if it is salvagable, but is there anything that would really indicate if it is garbage now?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I taking the rotor to Pepboy's now to see if it can be ground down. As for the pad, idk what I am going to do...

Any ideas?

-Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
I personally wouldn't mess around with brakes. Just replace pads and discs. Yes there is a bit of cost involed but there could be a heck of a lot more cost if that wheel locks up.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Locky said:
I personally wouldn't mess around with brakes. Just replace pads and discs. Yes there is a bit of cost involved but there could be a heck of a lot more cost if that wheel locks up.
Totally agree I'm afraid the pad and disk are now trashed and that means you will have to replace all of it . And if you hadn't replaced the disk on the other side then you will now and of course no matter how little use those pads have had they too should be replaced . I feel sorry for you but their is no other safe alternative.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mike, as the others have stated you now need to replace the pads and rotors on BOTH sides.

Please don't take any chances for a few $$, we like having you around on this forum.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
****, that's pretty bad.

Don't take anything to pep boys BTW...

Buy new rotors and pads up front, and leave it up to either someone competent to repair, unless you can refrain from having any friends install parts backwards/upsidedown/whathaveyou.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This was only on one wheel, right? And you only traveled one mile? I would think that you would only need to replace one rotor and one side of the pad.

Why are people are telling you to replace both rotors and pads?

·
Registered
232 Posts
doesn't matter how far the vehicle has travelled, if one rotor (disc) is damaged and hard braking is undertaken then the vehicle could spin out, don't risk it - its not just your life at risk...

the only way you could get away with it is if both rotors are new or almost new and totally unworn

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
woldd90 said:
This was only on one wheel, right? And you only traveled one mile? I would think that you would only need to replace one rotor and one side of the pad.

Why are people are telling you to replace both rotors and pads?
Pads/rotors should always be replaced as a set on an axle (brake balance, as said, and even wear issues). That said, in a case like this and on my own car, I'd check the other side and if it was really next to new (no ridge on the inside or outside of the rotor) I'd think about replacing only one rotor. Same goes for resurfacing the rotor, BTW, if you do resurface get both sides turned.

As was said before, brakes are not an area where you want skimp.

This has got to be one of the more silly things I've heard of people doing with their cars, BTW. :roll:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
:lol: Wow, I don't know what else to say, how did this happen?! :shock:

I will give you credit for having the stones to come on here and admit what happened though :lol:

If there is even the slightest doubt, I would replace everything, brakes are critical parts, and you could endanger others on the road, not just yourself. Brakes cost a lot less than a lawsuit, and if someone gets hit by a shiny looking Range Rover... some people people could be seeing dollar signs. Sad but true. Be careful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice guys, it wasn't me who did it - I did ever other wheel and they are perfect! I took the rotor and pads to LR, they said the rotors are too thin to shave down and that they need to be replaced soon anyway. I'm going to continue to use them for them until the front pads are shot again, at that point I am going to get new everything.

I really want to install a set of Brembo's from the Supercharged variant. Is this a common mod? Anyone know what the cost would be to do that swap?

Thanks Guys,

Mike

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
196 Posts
Do you know what ? I was going to writ something about how dangerous that will be but sod it , it's your neck . :doh:

G

·
0 Posts
I agree. I have been biting my tongue to stop me from saying how idiotic this was. Whether it was you who did it or a friend, the ultimate responsibility is yours. This coupled with your other threads on how to increase the bling bling when you have fundamental mechanical issues that you're trying to fix on the cheap, just proves one thing that Ron White said.

You can't fix stupid!

Brakes are the MOST IMPORTANT part of a car, especially on one that is close to 2 tons. FIX THEM and forget about your SC back lights and side fins and Nav upgrades. They can come later.

Bear in mind, that these threads could be used against you as knowing that you had mechanical issues with your vehicle in the event that you have an accident or worse, run someone down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Brakes are very important, but they are not a very complex system. It is pretty easy to do a brake job or an upgrade. Granted, this guy or his friend screwed up the installation. But, the truck still stopped with the pad installed incorrectly.

G

·
0 Posts
woldd90 said:
Brakes are very important, but they are not a very complex system. It is pretty easy to do a brake job or an upgrade. Granted, this guy or his friend screwed up the installation. But, the truck still stopped with the pad installed incorrectly.
But for how long? Have you ever seen a rotor that has shattered. I have, funny for me as it wasn't my vehicle and no one got hurt, but it destroyed a good portion of the brake lines and shredded part of his tire.

And by all accounts all he has done since is turn the pad around and he thinks he's good to go. Not good practice.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
...especially on one that is close to 2 tons....
:think:

You must have one of those special light weight, diet Range Rovers! :lol:

As far as the brakes... I hate to say it, but take it to the shop & have them do it. The amount you expect to save just ain't worth the risk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mr. Range Rover said:
woldd90 said:
But for how long? Have you ever seen a rotor that has shattered. I have, funny for me as it wasn't my vehicle and no one got hurt, but it destroyed a good portion of the brake lines and shredded part of his tire.

And by all accounts all he has done since is turn the pad around and he thinks he's good to go. Not good practice.
I've seen plenty of car accidents, but that does not mean that I do not drive my trucks anymore. Stuff happens that we don't plan on, you have to fix it and move on.

This could have ended up a more serious incident, but it did not. 7 of 8 pads were installed correctly and stopped the truck. He said that he went less than a mile, if that is the case, and the other rotor is close to new condition, all he needs to do is replace the damaged rotor the pads and everything will be fine. If the other rotor is worn, he should replace both rotors, but keep the new pads he just installed on that wheel, if he only traveled a mile or so.

G

·
0 Posts
Then the OP needs to clarify the details. What I got from this was:-

All 4 wheels had the pads changed, NOT the rotors [which were obviously well used if the pads were in need of replacement]
1 Pad on 1 wheel was fitted back to front causing severe damage to the backing of that pad [although the friction material was fine]
The Rotor on the wheel with the incorrectly fitted pad [well worn as previously stated] was damaged severely
Pad was fitted the correct way round and he continued to drive around as if nothing had happened [with old rotor, new pads on 1 front side and old damaged rotor and 1 damaged pad on the other, not to mention the now squeaky back pads]

woldd90 said:
I've seen plenty of car accidents, but that does not mean that I do not drive my trucks anymore. Stuff happens that we don't plan on, you have to fix it and move on.
Not the same thing at all. One is an accident, the other is negligence, nay, deliberate incompetence.

woldd90 said:
This could have ended up a more serious incident, but it did not. 7 of 8 pads were installed correctly and stopped the truck. He said that he went less than a mile, if that is the case, and the other rotor is close to new condition, all he needs to do is replace the damaged rotor the pads and everything will be fine. If the other rotor is worn, he should replace both rotors, but keep the new pads he just installed on that wheel, if he only traveled a mile or so.
You are correct that if the rotors were new and the pads were new, then there would only be a need to replace what was damaged, but if it was not new rotors and still the damaged pads, then it may yet end up as a more serious incident.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts