RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Have been reading about the brake modulator with the problems with the early ones with the plastic park braking and no brakes as a result. Rather than buy a new one at £3,000 or whatever it is from Land Rover, has anyone successfully bought a second hand one from a late P38 and put it in an early one. Does that work?

Am I right in thinking that the later ones had metal instead of plastic in them so do not have the same failure issue?

Cheers,

Ben.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Or you can just rebuild the one you have with the metal part replacements.

R

·
0 Posts
think you might be looking at quiet some challenges as the pre MY99 has either no TC or TC on the rear axle and the post MY99 have TC on all wheels. I can imagine this would mean the modulators are not interchangeable and if you would want to do so you would need some wireing and ECU modifications as well

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Hello Ben
In case you haven't found it yet, there's a lengthy thread (30 pages) here that covers the BM in detail, including possibility of swaps for later model 4 wheel traction control unit. Looks like interaction with electronics is the biggest stumbling block. If you're mechanically able and your current unit is working OK, swapping the plastic part for an upgraded metal one, as suggested above, is probably the way to go. Fitting a used anything to safety critical areas is a risk, although given the age/ price/ availability of new stuff it's a risk that we're all having to consider now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks guys, thought it would probably be an issue. I had read through some of the lengthy thread but had missed the part about swapping. Will look about ordering the 'fix' and going from there, the brakes are fine at the moment, just accepting it is something that is going to have to go into the jobs to do list if the engine turns out to be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts