RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a burst brake line on my Rear RH side where the line connects.

I am wondering what the correct procedure for replacing this would be?

I have the correct replacement brake line, connectors, tools and fluid.

Do I need to bleed the brakes first considering that there’s already a leak?

Should I just take the line off first?

Any advice would be much appreciated - if there’s a video / photo tutorial for the p38 that would also be very helpful!

Best

M

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
You should replace the burst line before doing any bleeding. RAVE has the proper bleed procedure in section 70, brakes-abs/repair/brake system bleed. It MUST be followed step by step in the order given. This a good time to flush the entire system as it is most likely original brake fluid.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get a Vacuum extractor and clear the old burst line first. It will save loads of mess.

• Remove front & rear wheel-arch inner covers (about 10 plastic clips each)
  • Mark the two unions behind the FR wheel arch so you know which is which.
  • Disconnect the pipes and carefully un-clip from the chassis mounts (many of these will break so buy some ty-wraps)
  • Remove the pipes and pull them out.
  • Starting at the front feed the new pipe along the chassis, and then do the bends at the rear.
  • Now flare the pipes, remembering to fit the union nut first !!
  • Then connect the new brake lines.
If you bought enough pipe, do both rear pipes while you have it apart. The other side will also fail soon, because LR made them from mild-steel.

Some people recommend adding a joint in the RL pipe so you can do it in two pieces. I did mine in one run, with careful bending over the right side axle.

I found it easier to pre-fill the fluid using the vacuum pump. This way you can see when the new clean fluid reaches the rear cylinders.

Then get a mate round to help with the bleeding - it's a two man job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts