RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finding some brake fluid on our driveway and a low brake fluid warning i see fluid dripping from the drivers side behind the front door post and toward the rear. I have not yet removed the couple of bits of plastic covers. If anyone has been there could you advise if you could get a pipe at the dealer and if not what size is the line and the complexity of the repair. Many thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's another common one! Not sure about dealers off the shelf? But I made my own up. It's a long one --full length of the car and runs over the back axle and is clipped to the bodywork. For ease I made mine in 2 pieces and created a joint before it bends to go ver the axle. Check your flexible hoses at the same time. Good luck

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I checked with the dealer and it is about 28 cdn for each one-which is quite reasonable but the complexity seems a bit daunting. The lines are both extremely rusty at the low point of the lines with the car at normal rest. I assume that moisture runs to the low point from each end and gradually the lines rust-and they are terribly rusty. After seeing that, considering the car has minimal visible rust, everyone should be checking theirs. The plastic covers have an 8mm screw head which does come apart easily. The secondary cover has the most ridiculous fasteners which undo with a 35 or 40 mm hex wrench-but they are plastic and are not strong enough to overcome the corrosion of the threaded fastener that bites into the plastic "bolt" so one out of four came out ok 2 and 3 required side cutters to grab and break them free and #4 required total destruction of the head to remove it and get the cover off. if the lines are 1/4 inch i would consider removing the corroded portion only, not to be cheap but perhaps practical so any info on line size and if a flaring tool will double flare the original lines without issue i would consider repairing in place. It looks like the front fender liner also would have to come out to feed the lines up into the engine compartment as well as removal of the rear plastic cover that protects the fuel tank to get to the rear connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts