RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for the help - 2004 HSE. Driving along today and a motorcycle pulled along side to tell me that my brake lights are staying on? i plan to take off the lower panel to see if I can see a brake switch and was hoping that someone might have had this issue or thoughts on fixing it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Confirm first that the motorcyclist knew what they were talking about. Next make sure you're not turning on the fog lights when you turn the headlights on. Some people mistake fog lights for brake lights. Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish it was that easy. Definitely the brake lights staying on. Went thru the hassle to replace the brake light switch and the lights are still staying on. In looking at RAVE - it states "If a replacement sensor has been fitted, re-set adaptions using TestBook/T4." Tried to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes hoping it might reset - but no luck.

So does this mean that I need to take it to a dealer to have them hook it up to a computer to reset it?

Thanks!

RattleItHome said:
Confirm first that the motorcyclist knew what they were talking about. Next make sure you're not turning on the fog lights when you turn the headlights on. Some people mistake fog lights for brake lights. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Is the fuse blown? If that's blown they'll stay on. Look in the owners manual, off the top of my head I think it's a 5amp 9 spot, but double check.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I changed mine on friday, make sure that the actual sensor is touching the brake pedal otherwise the lights will stay on, also check the fuse.. its a 5amp

take the battery of and reset the system after everything been replaced

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys - Thanks for the help and suggestions. After reading the post about the fuse, I was hopeful - but no luck - as the fuse is good (double checked with an ohm meter and switched with another fuse.) Also tried to adjust the switch - and that looks good as well. Did also try the disconnect battery route for about 30 minutes - and no difference.

On one occasion the lights did stay off for about 20 seconds and then came back on.

Left scratching my head ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for any and all suggestions. Looks like I'll need to take it to the dealer as I've tried numerous things with the same problem. I will post the results.

·
Registered
93 Posts
viper1993,

The brake lights are staying on for one of two reasons. (1) The blue/red wire (terminal 4) from the brake light switch is grounded between the switch and the lighting module or (2) The lighting module is faulty. This is assuming the brake light switch itself is ok. Do you know how to check the blue/red wire for continuity to ground? ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had this happen to me because of a broken brake switch in the pedal area. That said it also made the RR refuse to shift and it had to be driven in sport mode or manual to get it to the shop. I would have a shop check it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep i had this too

mine occured after taking it in for a carwash,

had to take into the workshop and they did a complete check, couldn't find anything, but i can tell you it is moist moist moist

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problem is fixed - sort of. A quick history reminder - hit a deer, took out drivers fender, headlight, and bumper. Rover fixed and no issues for 3 weeks. First problem that showed up was Brake lights staying on. Also started to receive a "Select Neutral", "Slow Down" message.

Dealer worked on it for almost a full day. Seems that there must be a short somewhere causing the hill decent module to send a signal to the brake light circuit lighting up the brake lights. "Fix" at this point was to remove the wire between the hill decent module and the brake lights. Not a huge deal since I never use the hill decent which by default turns on the brake lights.

Need to check back with the dealer if this was also the fix for the select neutral, slow down message or if that was something else. In looking at the paperwork - it was diagnosed as a short in the transfer case???

Thanks everyone for their help and thoughts!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11 Posts
I am having similar issues. My issue occurred after I changed my brake pads front and back and sensor all around. everything seemed ok until later when driving the HDC fault came up and lowered the vehicle reacting to the fault. we didn't reset the codes after doing the brake job. My brake light stays on and off but the funny part is that when I do press on the brake the front side markers come on. I am convinced its an electrical fault somewhere perhaps the brake pad sensors or maybe a faulty brake sensor by the brake petal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
A Lot of the electrical gremlins on the Range Rover are from water ingress. You may want to make sure that the sunroof drains are not blocked with crud. you can test this by pouring a little water into the drain hole if it pools its blocked if it vanishes its clear. Then if you pop the passenger side plastic panel near the vent you may see rust on the steel tubular frame this will confirm water ingress. Next is you will need to pull open the connectors and check for corrosion. If you find some I use Deoxit you can buy from electronics stores or online. A little spray in the connector and then hit it with some dust air and reinsert the connector. Remove and reinsert about two or three times it will break any oxidation up and the Dexoit will keep it at bay. But do fix the clogged drain.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1 Posts
My 2003 HSE just started this problem (brake lights on when car is off) so I'd like to inquire whether anyone has actually found a cause / fix before I take it to the shop.

Behaviour is that when I park the car, turn off ignition and leave, all three brake lights come on anywhere from one minute to half an hour after. They all go off when I unlock the car and I have no problems starting. I;ve checked the brake light fuse (#9 - 5 amp in glovebox) and it's fine.

Has anyone actually solved this issue?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
2004 Westminster 90k miles. Air Suspension Inactive. Aftermarket Audio/Nav system.

Fan blower stopped working a few weeks ago. Right front fog light was also not working. Replaced the FSR, still no fan. Wires for the fog light were severed at the connector-successfully repaired. Fan mysteriously started working again, but then my right headlight stopped working. When I switched the lights on, only the left ignited (xenon). My dash lights were randomly flashing to the sound of static through my speakers. This is when I noticed my brake lights were not working. HDC Inactive, Trans. Fail Safe and ABS warning lights also showed up.

After replacing the brake switch, my brake lights were functioning again, and no more warning lights except Air Susp. Inactive. This morning, when I switched the headlight(s) on, the brake lights stayed on with a press of the pedal. Turn the headlights off, and the brake lights work properly. I drove to work with only the fog lights on.

Will check for moisture issues, while troubleshooting my lights, and will report back with solutions (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ours has now blown fuse #9 twice and I would like to ask L4FL if he could elaborate on where exactly is the passenger side plastic panel near the vent that you refer to. Many thanks as I am sure it will blow again and a possible solution may well be one of the connectors referred to. If anyone has found a very likely suspect I would appreciate hearing your solution as my search to date has not found a satisfactory answer

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Third fuse blew after about 3 weeks of no issues and it stopped raining about 2 days ago.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Fuse still blows randomly. No other noticeable issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts