RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had an abrupt need to avoid an accident which caused me to apply the brakes abruptly, immediately following that event a red brake light came on the dash, not the Emergency Brake, not the ABS but a red light. I tested my brakes they are fine no loss of pressure the fluid is fine and there is no evidence of fluid leaks. I disconnected the cable on the top of the brake fluid reservoir the light is still on. Checked the owners manual and I cannot find any reference to this light being on... Anyone any thoughts or leads on this please let me know. Thanks
Lou, II

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
18 Posts
Might just be the warning that your brake pads are low. There is a sacrificial sensor inserted into one of brake pads that wears with the brake pads and when the sensor wears enough the warning light comes on. It isn’t an exact science as to when it is triggered but you should probably check your pads.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
336 Posts
New pads and possibly new rotors.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New pads and possibly new rotors.[/QUOTE

ok will check and report, however, there is no trailer message on my dash that calls for check brake pads and this happened within seconds of a sudden application of the brake to avoid a collision.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New pads and possibly new rotors.[/QUOTE

ok will check and report, however, there is no trailer message on my dash that calls for check brake pads and this happened within seconds of a sudden application of the brake to avoid a collision.
Update, brake pads have more than half life left on the pads (all 4) rotors are fine. Disconnected the battery for 30 secs, reconnected the battery moved the car 6' forward and 6' back lights reset to normal voila!!

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Might just be the warning that your brake pads are low. There is a sacrificial sensor inserted into one of brake pads that wears with the brake pads and when the sensor wears enough the warning light comes on.
There are actually two sensors. One for front and one for rear. They are a simply wire loop that is broken when the pads get low. There is plenty of pad life left when they trigger. This gives the person amble time to inspect, order parts and do a leisurely bake job. It does not mean this is a panic situation and that he has no pads left on one end or that he needs discs due to a panic stop. Common folks the high drama posts serve no purpose. :naughty:

Lou, Take some time to inspect your pads. If you pads are fine then most likely your discs are as well. You have a very good point that without the check brake pad message it is not a sensor wear issue or damaged harness because the system has not been triggered. Double check your fluid level. With an older rig you may have popped a brake cylinder seal. Slim chance but not unheard of.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Update, brake pads have more than half life left on the pads (all 4) rotors are fine. Disconnected the battery for 30 secs, reconnected the battery moved the car 6' forward and 6' back lights reset to normal voila!!

Did this work...did the issue come back? I have the same issue. Just replaced the brake pads and the old ones had some life left. Red BRAKE light still lit up on dash. Will try the disconnecting battery and driving/reversing car 6 feet procedure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts