RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the tech writups on this and it looks like easy, straightforward mechanical work. I know I'll need a new sensor and the rotors still look fine to me so here is my question: do I need to have the rotors turned or "machined" as the shops call it? There were no issues with the rotors sqeaking, pulsing, shimmying, nothing. I have changed pads on several other cars and never did a **** thing but bed in the pads afterwards and experienced no issues. I am thinking I am fine to slap in new pads and a new sensor and the issue is solved. But I am throwing the question out to you guys because I know these trucks can be finicky. So what say the Rover gods?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Re: "BRAKE" light is on, rear pads gone, can I DIY?

You don't need to have the disc's skimmed as long as they are flat atm without too much of a lip. The sensor wire can be found on eBay or wherever you're buying the pads from. It's worth having a tube of grease (copper grease, so it can withstand the high temps) to hand to grease things as you put it back together.

Check out this post for more info: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29347

·
Registered
95 Posts

Brakes are very easy. Keep in mind that the bolt holding the caliper in requires two wrenches and that's about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well it looks like I will run out of time to do this before I must go back overseas... :crybaby2:

I know the wife will be driving the truck while I am gone so I need to sort this out. I don't have the truck here at the moment to check out the disc carefully but ASSUMING there is a nice ridge and ASSUMING they will need to be machined, is this something most shops can do with a 13.9" rotor? I know that some machines won't accept a rotor that large. Second question--when I do a quick search online for L322 rear rotors I see both solid type and vented. Didn't they all come with vented rear rotors from the factory or am I crazy? I hate paying shops to do simple tasks...

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts

If they need skimming then just replace them @ £19 per disc that's gotta be cheaper than getting them skimmed?

Yes they are not genuine ones - but there is 0 difference between them, metal is metal. And I think discs were vented on the rear from 05 onwards according to the parts catalogue (you may want to verify that though)

Dan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I swear that my 2003 has vented rears :think: Maybe someone retrofitted them. Oh well, I'll probably just say to hell with it and have everything replaced so that the wife has no issues to worry about.

·
Registered
135 Posts

the brakes are very easy to do, thanks to RR forums :thumb:

·
Registered
528 Posts

I just did a full brake job on my '05... pads and rotors. I got the Pilenga rotors and Textar pads from British Parts of Utah. Saved a bundle, exactly the same as LR OEM. It's funny, though, that this is my second brake job over the course of 50k mile, while my wife's Cayenne S has 60% left and no rotor wear at 55k miles. Hhmmm.

The job went smoothly, but I'm glad I followed the forum's safety advice about jack stands. I had the fronts done and was using the LR jack to lift the car to take out the stands, when, "ZZZZZZTTTTT". The jack screw gave way and stripped out. So the car was resting on the jack stands. I had to wait for my wife to get home so I could go buy a real jack: a nice 3 tone floor jack with wheels.

I was skeptical about peolpe's reports of failing jacks, but mine gave way on smooth level concrete. I'd hate to the that POS on uneven footing with any amount on torsional strain.

Any recommendations on a jack that can be fit in the spare wheel well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts