RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
104 Posts
Hello all,

I had my car today at the dealer,they told me I need new brakes "front and rear",question for those that had already performed that service, I'm at 28k miles, I'll probably be using oem pads, did you guys did new rotors too? I was reading old threads looks like everybody changed to a different brand of pads

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,159 Posts
Dealer will likely automatically change pads and rotors with brake job which will be rather pricey both for parts and labor.

I changed my brake pads around that mileage and went with aftermarket ceramic pads. Local tire place examined rotors and said they were good to go for another round but to change them with next brake job.

Ceramic pads work as well and with 99% less brake dust and 90% less squealing.

Dealer quoted me $900 for just rear pads and rotors. I ended up changing front and rear pads for $350 parts + $175 labor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap thats cheap, I was quoted something around $2,200 front and rear, online just oem parts for $820 thanks for the info

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,159 Posts
Yes brake job at LR dealer is notorious for expense. I bought Disc Italia brake pads from brakeworld.com. I know they fit the V8 but not sure if it works for all trims.

The tire place was a local place similar to Discount Tire and they knew how to turn off the electronic brake to do the brake job correctly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
price is good on that page, not sure if they fit the HSE non painted, did you changed also the wear sensor? or any other brake part or it was just the pad?

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,159 Posts
Just the pad from what I understand, I believe they didn't change the wear sensor. I asked them about other parts and they said everything else was okay.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
Yes brake job at LR dealer is notorious for expense. I bought Disc Italia brake pads from brakeworld.com. I know they fit the V8 but not sure if it works for all trims.

The tire place was a local place similar to Discount Tire and they knew how to turn off the electronic brake to do the brake job correctly.

Ok, I’m about to do my pads. What do I need to know about the ebrake? I’m just planning to do the pads so I didn’t figure I had to mess with anything else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You dont need to do anything about the e-brake. front pads are very simple. On the rear calipers you must turn the piston in order to compress it before you fit the new pads. Other than that it's the same as any other pad swap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for the info, should order pads today, in case they want new rotors I’ll get them later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
601 Posts
I disengaged the ebrake when I had my front and rear pads and rotors replaced on my full size RRSC MY13. I also replaced the sensors while we were there. We needed to disengage the ebrake. I followed instructions found in the Evoque forum. There are a few helpful youtube videos, as well.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The dealer will always tell you that you need new rotors. In my opinion your rotors are good for at least two pad changes if not 3. You can tell by running your fingers across them. If they're really really really wavy then it's time.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have 52K miles and original pads & discs but I can see a bit of a shoulder on the outer edge of the discs so I know it will be soon. Have to start shopping for parts...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Really depends on your commute. I have a 2 mile commute each way with about 10 traffic lights. So I go 4 miles most days and stop 20 times. And I love to accelerate hard and brake hard too. My tech was telling me that the car actually wears the pads pretty hard even when you're accelerating because the stability control tries to keep the wheels from spinning out and the car going sideways, so even when you're not braking you're killing your pads, and the more HP the worse it gets.

So I generally end up going through a set of pads ever 12-15k miles.

Now most people do mostly hwy driving with little braking in between and it's not unusual to go 50K miles without swapping pads. My guess is you're in this latter camp awryexperime.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey i wonder what brand fluid is good , I'm looking towards the castrol DOT4. how many oz of brake fluid is required?

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey i wonder what brand fluid is good , I'm looking towards the castrol DOT4. how many oz of brake fluid is required?
You're flushing your brake system? Why? How many miles?
i have about 32000 , my brakes are wore out on my 2nd set since i got the car. These brembos run out quick. just ordered EBC rotors and pads. i figure i should flush it ?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Dude... let up on the throttle and panic braking. Pads and rotors last more than 15K miles for most Brembo folks. Being on your third set of pads at 30K is ridiculous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeh...i changed only the pads around 22k? And now i have to change rotors and pads.. will post pics.. nyc man , stop and go traffic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts