RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am thinking about having someone OTHER than the dealer do my brakes on my 2011 RRS HSE Lux. The past brake jobs, I have done myself, with 2 jacks and some jack stands, however I am over that mess I think at this point. I got an estimate from the dealer, of about $750....with ME supplying the parts...so the $750 is *just* labor.

We have a performance shop in town that does work on high-end cars & race cars. They said they would do the job for about $200 (again, I would supply the parts). My concern to them was that they not screw up the air suspension / compressor, etc when putting the truck on the lift (things that you would THINK are obvious, but I don't think they are if you've never worked on a Rover).

The question posed to me was "where is the kill switch", meaning for the air suspension I guess so it doesn't travel/extend when he puts it on the lift. To my knowledge, I don't think the DEALER hits any "kill switch" or do they? He was saying something about pulling a relay to basically disable the air suspension while he does the work.

1. IS there a "kill switch"? If so, WHERE
2. IS this necessary?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this seems like a noob question.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
No there is no kill switch. If they are using a "frame" lift, and use the approved jacking points, the suspension is going to dangle no matter what you do the the EAS. The struts will only extend so far. the EAS bladder and height sensors will still have more travel left.

If they have lift with four arms that can be placed anywhere they need to place them under the suspension points to keep the struts from extending.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Note 2 things also.

If you leave/crack a door open it disables the suspension from any movement (designed into the system so it will not move when people are getting into and out of the car.)

Secondly the air suspension compressor sits next to the frame under the drivers rear door in a plastic box. Since it is in a black box it looks just like the frame and people often try and jack/rack the car on it breaking or damaging the compressor. Replaced quite a few of these for being smooshed over the years.

Might be worth mentioning to someone who is not familiar with rovers working on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts