RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my new ABS pump and bled the system properly; however I have now notice there seems to be a rubbing grinding noise coming from the front right had a quick look and can’t see anything. Does the P38 have a break pad wear sensor that tells you when to change the pads as I am not sure when mine were last done, secondly what type of brake pads should I fit and that are readily available here in SA

Second problem I have is when I put the car into reverse and hit the brakes sometime I get a clunk sound almost as if the callipers have suddenly sprung into live and had popped out this doesn’t happen all the time say every second or third braking attempt

In general the brakes are working great but I could be a little biased as I was driving her without a ABS pump for about two months

·
Registered
887 Posts
My guess is that your brake pads are worn down quite a bit. As the pads have worn down, you're down to the base metal part of the pads. So, instead of having engineered friction component rubbing against the rotor, It's now metal and metal grinding. As for hearing weird sound when you're backing up, again, it's probably due to the worn down pads. When you wear the pads down, for some reason, when you're backing up it has a tendency to cause the worn down pads to move around within the caliper. You have to be careful, because not only would worn down pads really mess up your rotors, if the pads get worn down enough, it will literally allow itself to dislodge itself and come out of the caliper housing-this also causes the caliper piston to pop out, usually. I know this from experience.........

·
Registered
78 Posts
JeremyD said:
Thanks for the info I thought as much any idea what brake pads I should get ?
lucas,textar,ferrodo.
lucas being oem,textar second best cheaper more heat resistant than ferrodo (the squeeking pads) less heat resistant.
cheers good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts