RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I replaced the suspension (coil over springs and shocks) and brakes (rotors, pads and calipers) on this car that I bought for my son. Now occasionally when he gets going in the morning the brakes will come on and many times the pedal will push back and basically lose the power assist. I am a little lost on where to start here. It seems like the ABS pump is running more than it should and when I try to bleed it there appears to be little to no fluid coming out. Should I start with the ABS accumulator or something else?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any words of wisdom? I am thinking accumulator but I don't know why the brakes would lock up when moving forward at first start up.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Colin! Any ideas about why the breaks come on after putting the car in drive after backing out of the driveway at first start up? If that could be the accumulator too I will get one right away...

Brad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brad,
Not sure where you are located, I have a 93 LWB with brake issues as well. I have a hard pedal, with a geiger counter noise when pressing the pedal.
I recently got a used accumulator to see if that was the problem, although I was told the accumulator was good I don't know if that was true or not.

I am looking for an ABS pressure gauge, according to the RAVE CD that is how you check to see if your accumulator has lost pressure or not...

Sam

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sam,

I take it the used one you got did not work? I had checked the other post on replacing the ABS accumulator. I am just trying to get a response about why my brakes lock up when first moving forward when I first start the car. I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and get one as nobody seems to have an answer to the brakes locking up issue. My only other issue is trying to find a fan blower motor resistor. It has been back ordered for a year so my guess is they just quit making it.

I'll post once I get the new accumulator.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
345 Posts
Blower motor resistors are available from aftermarket suppliers, Atlantic British in New York for instance. Where are you located ? Its hard to diagnose your problem without service history, but you may have bad seals in brake booster or calipers, especially if car sat for a long time. Part of the maintainance is to flush entire system every couple years, brake fluid attracts moisture and will ruin components. I had this problem with stuttering pedal and long running pump, replacing booster solved problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ClassicJack,

Thanks a ton for the blower motor resister. I have been waiting on Rover's North for over a year! I put new brakes on (rotors, calipers, pads) when I bought it. I ordered an accumulator so I'll see if that helps. I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Thanks again!!!

Brad

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll be interested as well.

We are having a bit of the same problem. It would do a few brake applications and then all would be good. After replacing the pads front and back I had knocked one of the anti skid sensors back out and it would test and fault. After pushing the sensors back in in would do a bit of stuttering when first moving and work fine. Now some stuttering and the light goes out but...later it will do some stuttering and then the light will come on and the brakes will work fine...just no ABS. I timed the pump when I replaced the pads and it seemed to be within the normal range at the time...toward one end of the range but it has about 300,000 miles now. Less than four months since I replaced the pads.

95 Classic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts