RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I need to find some new pads...ive owned tons of cars and none of them have been this bad. anyone have any good suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Textar makes good rotors, and the big upside to them over a lot of brands is that they are fully coated, so no chance of rust on anything that the pad doesn't touch.

A lot of people are swearing by the Akebono pads, but I have yet to use(or see them offered) for the SC brakes on these. The Euro pads they offer are ceramic, which is a different compound then OE, and you may lose the initial bite before the pads get warm, but with as good as the brakes are, it will in no way cause you a loss of stopping power.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can say first hand that Akebono's are the way to go if you have a HSE.
My recommendation for the Bembro's would be Hawk. I've used the street ceramic pads, in a different application and was very happy with dust level and stopping ability

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh wait so i shldnt use them on the SC?
ive used hawks on other cars and never really liked them...which hawks do u use?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used Hawk LTS pads with the Brembos. Very low dust with very linear and progressive stopping. Greater initial bite and stopping capability that the OE pads. However, they took a good 2K miles to completely bed-in. I had to stand-on them to stop the truck leaving the dealership, who said they bedded them in. Even after a few sessions of the StopTech high performance break-in procedure they still provided zero bite and stopping ability until warm. But at about 2K miles I realized they had great bite and capabilities at all temperatures. In fact, the best brake pad I have ever experienced. I would buy them again without hesitation, but would never put them on my wife's vehicle - scared the bejeesus out of her when she borrowed my Range right after I had them installed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Going with akebono for rear only they are out. Mechanic is telling we have to see rotors before we must replace.. Any thoughts on that? I was looking for textar rotors but can't find them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put textar rotors and textar ceramic pads on my 7-series about 5k miles ago. No noticeable noise and the brake dust was cut down substantially.

They might be worth a shot if you can't find akebono.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So just replaced back breaks with Going with akebono and they are great. My mechanic didn't replace rotors, but he said textar is the way to go. Wow the Going with akebono is a huge difference in break dust as my front breaks are still OEM. No issues with stopping power.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Finally got around to having my rotors and pads changed this weekend. I went with Brembo rotors and Akebono pads.. I can honestly say I havent heard a squeak at all since installation. I added the Mercedes Brake paste to the pads as well.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I have started using Hawk Ceramic for the front Brembo brakes on the 06-09s, and they are fantastic(I wasn't surprised, I am a fan of Hawk brake pads, run them on my car) Stopping power seems to have slight increase over stock(which was surprising with switching to a ceramic) no noise at all, and should prove to be very low dust(customers have been asked to report back with results.

I am trying to get one of our suppliers to get us the same for the +10s, which is proving to be difficult, but I expect them to be just as good.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts