RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, since I've decided to handle most of my repairs DIY, I did my first brake disk replacement recently. All was fine until I've got to the brake disk securing screw. I found that one of the screw was completely messed up, apparently, some kind of self tapping screw was used by the indie that I've took my car for prior service.

I did not have any metric tapping set handy, and couldn't afford to stop midway with the job, so I've put together one of the brake disk without the disk securing screw.

Anyhow, considering that some cars don't even come with this locator screw for disks, are there anything I should be worried about?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Provided you keep your wheel nuts torqued up correctly this should not be a issue. As you say there are a lot of vehicles out there with them missing, some vehicles even have a type "floating" brake disc.

Cheers

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I'm going to remove the wheels from the parts car today, send me a PM with your address and i'll put the screw in an evelope and send it to you for freeeeee...

Scotty

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I hate those screws. One of mine is stripped out from the PO and I'm pretty sure I'll be swearing at it when it comes time to take it out.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I'll send you one as well, Maybe I should wait to see if the parts car even has them :think: :oops:
I'll get back to ya i'm going out to take the wheels off..

Scotty

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im missing one aswell...no problems.

·
Registered
448 Posts
mine have been missing for the last 70K if the wheel is on then the disk isn't going any where
Tony

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. And, thanks for the offer of the screw, scotty.

Anyhow, I think I'll be OK w/o the screw, so I think I'll forget about it until the next time I have to change the rotors. That, hopefully, won't be for another 2 years or so.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
david despain said:
Scotty said:
I'll send you one as well, Maybe I should wait to see if the parts car even has them :think: :oops:
I'll get back to ya i'm going out to take the wheels off..

Scotty

maybe i missed it somewhere else, but what kind of wheels are on that truck?
He just sold them, and they would make any sane persons eyes bleed......(chrome) :shock:

Op, I left all mine out after I replaced the rotors and pads @1.5yrs ago, never had a single problem.
Those screws are why they invented impact drivers as seen here (I wouldn't be without one anymore...)

Martin

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my case, I've tried the impact driver (w/ the pozi bit) first with no success. Then, I ended up breaking 2 successively larger EZ-out in the screw, making the situation much worse. In the end, I had to drill out as much as possible of the screw, enlarging the hole in the process.

I think I've wasted a good 1-2 hours on this process.

Anyway, when I got the screw out, it wasn't even an OEM spec screw, but some agressively cut self-tapping screw. So, no surprise I've had a hard time taking it out. I should've taken the picture of the screw, but I didn't even want to look at it after tackling at it for couple of hours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts