RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my RR, the front left caliper was lazy under braking which would cause a lunge to the right on a sharp press of the brakes at speed, and then it'd straighten as the left hand side caught up. I pulled it apart, replaced the seals and at the time, observed that the caliper piston was just slightly corroded. In the spirit of me being me, I simply took a very very fine grit paper to it and smoothed down and fitted it with the new seals. All was well. Good job Don. :clap:

However, a year since, i've started getting problems again. Now rather than being lazy, its enthusiastic and the front left caliper seems to have an affinity with the disc, and its binding. I also think this is starting to warp the disc as I get really noticeable thudding under braking. Today is was at the stage that the binding was actively slowing the car in pulses as it went downhill to a junction, that being said, it free'd off soon after, and never re-appeared for the rest of the journey. Other things are that I can feel the steering shake a bit when its binding. When its not binding, the steering is perfect.

Upfront: I'm quite comfortable with stripping down a caliper and resealing it - I do not want to be buying a whole new caliper.

So, does any one know where you can get a new piston from? I've looked round, and the usual place dont list them.

OR

Given the L322's history from being an X5 derivative, does anyone know if they share the same caliper pistons ? I can see X5 caliper pistons for about £20 each and they are 60mm diameter. Does anyone know if they would fit?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
fisha,

Just checking whether you're aware that Land Rover themselves list a repair kit - part no. SEE000020 - which costs about £13 per side. From the diagram on Microcat it looks like you get the piston & seal?

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah - now thats interesting ... i'd browsed that site looking at the differences between BMW X5 front discs and the RR's ... hadn't scrolled further down thinking that they might have done the pistons too !

DOH! :doh:

The part highlighted is just the seal and dust cover ... which are always a pain to fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts