RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded to braided hoses? I'm going to change the brake fluid in the next few weeks and wondered whether this was a reasonable upgrade?

I'm not dissatisfied by my existing brakes, but if a relatively cheap upgrade would improve them even a little I would be pleased. I've seen a kit for the X5 that I imagine uses all the same gear and at under £50.00 it doesn’t seem too bad.

Dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Dan, I upgraded the brake hoses on my P38, made them myself using "aeroquip" fittings. Have used this type on all my classic cars for years with great success. No special tools are required. All fittings from Rally Design in Kent. They have a web site.
Stewart.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Stewart, I'll look them up. Did you notice any improvement in performance or feel?

Dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
No, I did not notice any difference. I just think its a better job and cheaper than the oem hoses.
Stewart.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Changing to braided brake line is one of the more popular mods among Harley-Davidson owners, not as much for performance as it is for looks.
Unlike the Harley's ornamental display of brake lines & throttle cables the Rover keeps it's brake lines concealed and out of sight, so there's no bling effect.
Unless you have brake lines that are very aged & dry rotting, I don't think there would be any improvement in performance. If your brake lines are shot, they would contribute to a relatively spongey feel, and changing to steel braid lines would firm-up the pedal feel. Of course, air in the lines would give a spongey feel too, so bleeding the brakes would give a more noticable imporvement.
I would certainly change to braided, but ONLY if the brake lines were truely in need of replacement, and I can't think of a single vehicle I've ever owned (including my Harley & Triumph, or any other bike I've owned) that has ever really needed the brake lines replaced.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Dan, did you switch to the braided cables? difference?

also you mentioned you were flushing your brake fluid, do you have a T4/testbook???

I was looking at flushing my brake fluid but RAVE states doing a flush requires the T4, am i limited to just topping off without the T4???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts