RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the purpose of this bracket over the nut/bolt that holds the front panhardrod to the chassisrail?
It's in the way, I want to renew the bushings of that rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Its to stop the nut coming off the bolt.then the bolt wont come out accidentally
If it is, then it's a pretty ill-conceived idea! The bolt could quite easily work its way out, leaving the nut to drop off the end :)
How about to stop things from catching/ chafing on the protruding bolt/ nut end?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its to stop the nut coming off the bolt.then the bolt wont come out accidentally
The nut is the nylock type so it will not spin off. I can halfway get an open wrench 15/16 on it (or 24mm), let alone turn it.
I have to turn the bolt from the other side which is a 15/16 multihex head.
Not good thinking of our fella's at Lodelane.

·
Registered
492 Posts
its not on mine so I would say its an add on by previous owner, its a useless item by the looks of it, just cut it off and do the nut up tight like it should be.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Not on either P38 parked here either. Looks like a bodge welding job anyway. If it were on the bolt side it may have merit. As mounted just ditch it and follow proper torque in RAVE.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bolt will not spin off because it is under shear load all the time. the nut however isnt and if it it not torqued up correctly and does come loose it could spin off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys, now I have peace of mind.
And I do have a small grinder and torque it to specs...
Tony.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
The bolt will not spin off because it is under shear load all the time. the nut however isnt and if it it not torqued up correctly and does come loose it could spin off.
As the axle moves, the force on the bush and thus on the bolt will vary both in amplitude and direction. In between it will sometimes become zero, allowing the bolt to work loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
But because the forces are continuously reversing there will be opposite reversal of rotation therefore the bolt will not spin out

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've got one on mine too! Perhaps it's only us Europeans that have potentially loose nuts!
As mentioned above, it's got a nyloc on it so as long as that's replaced, chopping it off will be fine. But...
If really paranoid about nuts dropping, loctite it, drill and safety wire it (both ends of course) then weld the little cage back on again. That way the rest of the RR will disintegrate but that end of the panhard will still be firmly in place :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks OB, I'm not alone in this world!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts