RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RR Newbie here!

Always wanted RR, and managed to fulfil my dream yesterday! Purchased a 2003 RR Vogue 3.0Td6 and loved it, took it home and had a twiddle with the EAS knobs and the front end dropped like a hot potato. Closely followed by a message (which I can barely make out in the heavily dead-pixelled display telling me to not exceed 35mph because the EAS wasn't active!

Had it to a local garage today who got a snap-on code reader on it, which immediate flashed up codes for exhaust valves, glow plugs and air compressor! He advised me to purchase one myself on ebay and he'd fit it. (clearing code did nothing, compressor still doenst sound like its running)

Spoke to a friends garage next who said they would supply a compressor, and if it turned out to not be the compressor I wouldn't be charged for it :). She also said they've fitted 10 compressors over the last 12 months and 8 of then turned out not be the compressor!

I know I could take it back to the 'dealer' within 30 days and get my money back, but I love this car - I don't trust the guy who sold me it and id rather pay someone I know to do a decent job on it!

Would it be logical for me to think the compressor will be replaced, and a new fault code would appear maybe incriminating the bag or solenoid sensors etc?!

I'll keep you posted. I traded in my beloved insignia for this beast, hope it turns out to be a good'n!

Richy

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Well, you have a leak. Most likely in the front. Most likely ignored and had worn out the compressor. A new compressor is a good thing. Now look at a set of front struts. That'll take of you for another 80-100K miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll look into that too. Get the feeling there will be a fair bit of garage time coming up but I don't mind so much!! This is it bowing line a playful puppy!

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Why shop time, are you unable to spray soapy water? :lol:

Geez save monies and learn a bit of DIY. :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't know how much I'd like to go investigating with spanners on Sunday!! Unfortunately I work full time and have 2 kids under 3. Time is precious, free time is none existent at the minute :(

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Tell the kids you want the car to blow bubbles and get their help. Thats if the comp. is not totally pooched. You could lift out the rear floor mat and panel to see if you hear anything running. you could try out their seats and strap them in.:D

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
There is a super cheap kit to rebuild the compressor.....like lunch money cheap. Start there as its cheap and might get you on the road for enough time while you order the parts to fix your leak.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as new compressor seal and ring, super easy and quick to do. For me it worked perfectly. Hardest bit was lifting the spare wheel out...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - its not the compressor!

The BCU is faulty, awaiting a price from the local 4x4 dealer for a part and to be sent to somewhere else to get programmed :(

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hope the dealer you bought it from will do something for you. In rereading your post where you were told that most replaced compressors were not the issue it left me wondering about the incorrect diagnosis so I hope you will be covered if the bcu does not fix it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funnily enough the 'dealer' I bought it from hasn't returned my calls today!

·
Registered
104 Posts
BCU is easy to replace. Remove panel beneath passenger seat, disconnect 3 plugs, pull out the old from the chassis it's held by, and stick in a new one/connect the same connectors. Takes 5 minutes. From personal experience, recommend dielectric grease in holes on connectors for improved connection with pins. Take somewhere to have it programmed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So BCU has been re-flashed with the standard software and the rear of the rover is going up and down nicely apparently! Front is still completely unresponsive, ill keep you updated tomorrow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bad height sensor in front? Connector could have issues somewhere in front. Had similar issue once to discover battery was leaking, which found its way to a connector directly beneath. Ended up being the only problem. I guess it's not always the obvious cause.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update! Front left bag was burst, right was looking to be on its last legs! Currently being replaced and I pick it up tomorrow.

Dealer still avoiding my calls :evil:, giving him until end of tomorrow and i'm just going to turn up on his doorstep with the bill.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's always the left for some reason.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it back today, very happy with it... suspension travels up and down just as it should once again :D

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
HI Richy I have just purchased a L322 TDV8 and wondered where you managed to get the suspension fixed in South Shields? Can you recommend the garage?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts