RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Classic with 162k miles and as the title indicates, bought a salvaged 1992 Classic to pull parts. For now, I am getting mostly small items that are either broken on my vehicle or in better shape on the salvaged truck.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum regarding parts to pull (i.e., those that are very hard to come by and/or very expensive). Any help would be appreciated. The 3.9 motor is in tact (for the most part) and the transfer case, transmission and differentials are all there. The interior is pretty rough, but there should be some trim pieces and other stuff that I can use. The dash and instrument cluster is in good shape.

- Jason

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get the center console ( the whole thing), the carpet that is in the back area, the dimming mirror, the black surround that covers the back tailgate handle, the grab handles, the seat trims on either side

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
I've wrecked a couple. Upper tailgates seem to sell well, otherwise nothing really stands out, just depends who wants what. Why don't you just hang on to it and maybe put an ad on ebay and sell some parts?

The heads might come in handy if your valve guides are worn and you are looking for a rebuild. The transfer box is worth keeping as well in case the VC dies on yours.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My VC is seized. I ordered a replacement today. Good advice on the transfer case. The VC was tough to find and expensive. I am just going to pull as much as I can. What I am really hoping to do is to let my 10 year old son go at it. He wont hurt anything and I am hoping will have fun removing pieces. Maybe he will get off of the iPad for a little while...

I am going to get a bunch of interior parts, transfer case and maybe the differentials. I may also pull the steering box and whatever else I get from the engine (mass air sensor, ABC accumulator, etc.). I may even pull the AC compressor and try to rebuild it with a seal kit. We should have fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The AC blower is a keeper as is the heater blower (easy to get now, but if you're pulling the AC blower what the hey) The instrument binacle and functioning door and sunroof controls are nice to have. Rust free upper and lower tailgates are also hard to come by. I would keep the backseat safety belt hasps - they seem to go south for some reason. You can always use a spare differential and axle and I would also harvest any good swivel balls.

I bought a 1990 last year with the idea I would just pull parts off of it. I've swapped a few parts, but can't bring myself to rip it apart - it looks and runs pretty good. So, I'm going to make it a daily driver and maybe put it up for sale. The biggest issue is the alternator. The PO tried to convert it to a delco but ran out of patience lining the belt up. I have a spare lucas so I'll swap that in, do some exhaust gaskets and glue on a headliner and see how it looks.

-.b

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Dash pieces, they're a pain to find in good shape and it makes a huge difference- including the center console. I'd love to replace all of mine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The power seat control units, might as well also pull the entire instrument cluster as a unit, the front grille if it's in good shape is a good piece to get, if you take the door panels off, remove the power window motors (if working), remove any relays and switches. Maybe pull the ignition/key module at the steering column.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Save everything if you have the space , murphys law says if it can go wrong it will go wrong . if you throw anything away you will need it someday

·
Registered
37 Posts
The interior light lenses if they are not yellow... now NLA

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The interior light lenses if they are not yellow... now NLA
If you're talking about the lens for the overhead interior lights, there are several places on both sides of the pond. I bought a pair just last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Door pull pockets including the little screw covers. Kick panels especially if it has the map pocket. Door pockets (these are always getting smashed!), power window motors, parcel tray, rubber mats if present. Factory carpet mats that have "Range Rover" woven in, wood trim if in good shape, overhead grab handles, under bonnet lamp especially the lens (NLA). Wheel center caps, one piece lug nuts (no covers). Power steering pump. Bonnet and tailgate raised script. Windshield washer bottle and pumps, Road speed sensor. Y pipe.
Those are the major bits. You can probably add door cards, carpeting and the under carpet pads to that, headliner card, starter and the heat shields, ECUs, all seat parts especially plastics like the armrest knobs, all dash parts...
Frankly if the VC craps out it's better/cheaper to swap in an LT230 and be done with it. The only (miniscule) advantage of the BW is that you don't have to lock the center diff. I personally don't mind having to do that but you can forget!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had a great time today pulling parts. My boy hung in there and used a screw driver like a champ, but had the most fun banging on the left rear quarter panel with a hammer. All good. I picked up a bunch of odds and ends and will need to go back for another trip. Thanks for all of the tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts