RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well...it allows me to turn the key but the steering wheel remains locked, so it's not drivable. Gotta investigate more, as right now it's not the silver bullet I hoped it was.
Ah, nuts. I was so excited!
I put a temporary switch to fuse 18 and its working...for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
It might still work for you.

According to this thread:

It works if your steering column fails in the 'unlocked' position. Perhaps my lock failed in the 'lock' position? I'm not sure. The device allows me to turn the key on the first try 100% of the time, but my steering wheel remains locked and I haven't yet found a workaround.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Whelp, more adventures. I needed tires and an alignment and was hopeful the alignment would help resolve the air suspension issues I was having. I got Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires put on my 19" rims. I don't have any special reason for choosing these other than they were cheap and highly rated. We'll see how well they do off road.

When it came time to do the alignment, the shop was unable to perform it. They said they didn't have the tools. I took it to a new shop and the new shop said the tie rods were completely frozen and I needed new ones. They quoted $800 to do the job, but since this is an $800 RR, that's a no. So, I bought the parts for ~$75 and did the job myself.

Pro tip, since the inner and outer tie rods were completely inseparable, I went ahead and took both off at the same time. I unscrewed the outer tie rod from the knuckle, then pulled the boot over the inner tie rod towards the outer tie rod, exposing the head. I then used a wrench to take off the whole kit and kaboodle at one time. Once I had them off, I simply used a hacksaw to cut the two apart so I could reuse the boot. This is a really easy job and took <2 hours, even with me putzing around and not working quickly.

So, I'll take it to get aligned later this week and report back.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts