RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my smartkeys stopped working at the same time, which I found quite strange.

I didn’t drive my RRS 2015 for a week due to the coronavirus lockdown and when I returned to it, neither key worked. I had to take out the metal key to access the vehicle. To start the vehicle I had to touch the side of the steering with the smartkey. The vehicle is then perfectly drivable.
I drove the vehicle on the motorway in the belief the problem had something to do with not driving it, but it didn’t help.

The problem of both smartkeys not working remains and in the mobile app I see the message ‘Locked Not Alarmed’.

What could be the cause of this problem and how would I resolve it short of booking it in at a dealership and paying a lot more of money?

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
The batteries on our 2018 disco seemed to die at exactly the same time, aiding this behavior. A quick replacement solved it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The batteries on our 2018 disco seemed to die at exactly the same time, aiding this behavior. A quick replacement solved it.
Thanks a lot, I’ll get new batteries tomorrow. This is a useful forum indeed.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Don't be fooled by the new batteries fix. On March 11, 2020 I got immobilized in the parking lot after using my Activity Key. Placing the key next to the steering column did not provide a result. Took a Uber home to fetch the other key and it started the RR. Next morning the issue had disappeared. The dealership replaced the batteries in both keys and problem was solved.

June 8, 2020. Again Smart Key not recognized after using my Activity Key, this time we have the other key with us, also same result not recognized. Placing the key next to the steering column did not work either. (Perhaps I am doing it wrong)

Thru the app it appears the alarm is not activated with the keys as both lock and unlock the RR. Locked RR with App standing a few feet away, then started car remotely with App and drove home (20 min drive). At home still the same, Smart Key not recognized. I repeated the App procedure to park in the garage.

Overnight the RR fixes is self and both keys are working perfectly fine this morning. For now I will retire the Activity Key.

The mystery is real.
2018 RR Sport SVR (31K miles)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Interestingly enough, replacing the batteries didn’t help and I‘ve now booking the car in at a dealership for the issue to be investigated further.

I’ll let this forum know what the outcome is. Thanks

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Interestingly enough, replacing the batteries didn’t help and I‘ve now booking the car in at a dealership for the issue to be investigated further.

I’ll let this forum know what the outcome is. Thanks
Try using the App to start the car if possible, it saved my evening :). I also read that the Key Module may need updating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts