RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We bought a 99 range rover with a gems engine in it. We are having trouble with our two front windows and mirrors. So far we have replaced the centre console switch pack that the guy at the garage said was burned out and still they don't work. We checked fuses but don't know how to check the rest of the wiring etc. When you hit the up windows switch it says not set but nothing comes up when you hit down. We had the outstation open and with a test light touched one of the connectors and the windows opened and closed that way so obviously they can work. The guy we bought it from had the windows rigged up by plugging in power from the cigarette lighter. There were wires by in the lower box looped back and forth all over the place, I guess to bypass stuff? We don't have too many options for help where we are, the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away and don't seem to have a clue about anything at all, they couldn't even tell me the kind of drive belt I needed. We are getting pretty frustrated because so far we have spent almost $1,500 and still haven't had a chance to even drive it. I looked on the common problems and fixes and it looks like maybe it could be a becm problem? The dealer told us if we replaced it we would have to have it re programmed and that would day a full day at the dealer.$$$$$$$$. Can anyone help us?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Sounds like it's been tampered with.

Download the RAVE files from this source:
http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php? ... &Itemid=29

You need the CD2 one. RAVE contains the workshop manuals including the Electical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) for the p38 so have a browse through there.

Looking at the Owner Manual, Fuse22 (rated at 30A) located under the passenger seat (US LHD) puts power to the front two windows. Knowing this, you should be able to locate which side of this fuse the problem lies? Are there any other electrical issues with the car? Rear windows working?

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Which of all the window/sunroof switches work? Do either of the rear electric-window switches work (- make sure the rear-disable switch next to the sunroof switch is enabled)?

How are you currently getting in/out of the car? Does the remote key work? Does all of the central locking work? Does every sill button move with the rest?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

With the switch pack you are giving instructions to the Becm. This BECM gives a signal towards the outstation driver boxes to operate the windows.

First start with checking if you have power on the centre console switch pack. Check the Fuse no1 10A in the BECM fuse box.

It is possible that the previous owner damaged the BECM components and bypassed the system with direct wires to the outstion outputs towards the power window motors.

Regards

Jos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts